Los Angeles News
Sears worker arrested for allegedly filming women in fitting rooms in North Hollywood
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A Sears maintenance worker was arrested after he allegedly videotaped women in the store's fitting rooms.
North Hollywood sexual assault detectives say 27-year-old Alejandro Gamiz had placed hidden cameras behind the walls of women's restrooms and fitting rooms at the store on the 12100 block of Victory Boulevard. A fitting room attendant discovered the cameras during a routine sweep on April 12. Gamiz was arrested immediately.
Police did not comment on how many cameras were found or the possible number of victims.
Gamiz was booked for burglary and the surreptitious filming of unsuspecting women. Evidence supporting the charges was recovered from the department store's security personnel and also with the cooperation of Gamiz.
Gamiz posted $20,000 bail and was released from custody while the Los Angeles District Attorney reviewed the case.
Many customers are now wondering if they were unsuspecting victims.
"I can't believe it. I used to change in those fitting rooms and go to the restroom there. That's like an invasion of privacy," said customer Ruby Roldan.
Sears officials say Gamiz was employed at the store for seven years and believe he had the cameras in place for about a year.
"Out of an abundance of caution, we have inspected the restrooms and changing rooms in all of our other retail outlets throughout the country," Sears spokesperson Kimberly Freely said in a statement.
Despite the store's actions, some shoppers still feel uneasy. Customer Mayra Salilnas said she will probably continue shopping at the location but avoid the dressing rooms.
Anyone with information related to this case was asked to contact North Hollywood sexual assault detectives at (818) 623-4090.
sex crimes, arrest, north hollywood, los angeles news, darsha philips
- Search for Oklahoma survivors almost complete
- Greuel, Garcetti face off on Election Day
- LAPD officer accused of lewd acts on 2 girls
- Undersheriff Tanaka speaks out against Baca
- LA voters to decide future of marijuana shops
- Jogger sexually assaulted in Santa Paula
- UC hospital workers strike over understaffing
- Former IRS chief knew little about targeting
- Jodi Arias jury sentencing deliberations begin 3 min ago
- abcnews: Apple CEO defends offshore tax policy
- SF 49ers new stadium to host Super Bowl 50
- 2013 Legacy, Outback recalled for steering issue
- 'DWTS': Zendaya holds lead in final four
- Photos: 'Dancing With The Stars' week 10 3 min ago