Los Angeles News
LA riots mark 20-year anniversary this week
INGLEWOOD, Calif. (KABC) -- This week marks 20 years since the L.A. riots erupted. Events looking back at the riots are taking place all week, including at one local radio station.
102.3 KJLH FM will have special programming for the next two weeks focusing on different aspects of the riots. Monday morning, Aqeela Sherrills and Cornell Ward, two of the men who helped broker the Watts Peace Treaty, were featured as special on-air guests to discuss gang violence. Gang members signed a cease-fire agreement that helped ease tensions between rival neighborhoods.
Sherrills reflected on what it was like during that dark period in L.A. history.
"I remember, you know seeing the city going up in flames, I remember going up to Jim Brown's house and rallying up the troops and going into different neighborhoods throughout the city and trying to encourage people not to loot the stores, not to burn down the whole neighborhood," said Sherrills.
The six days of violence and looting were triggered by the acquittal of four police officers charged in the Rodney King beating. Hours later, violence and civil unrest filled the streets of South L.A. 53 people died, nearly 2,000 were injured and property damage totaled about $1 billion.
Sherrills and Ward say the occurrence of gang violence has decreased over the last two decades. But while the police take most of the credit for the improvement, the two men say the unprecedented treaty also played a significant role in the reduction.
"We have better, effective communication with cross-town rivals, folks that you normally wouldn't communicated with that we're communicating with now. We have communications with law enforcement, LAPD, the sheriff, county folk, and we know that it's important that we have to do it in a unified state of mind," said Ward.
1992 Los Angeles riots, los angeles news, melissa macbride
- Body found in canyon ID'd as Maribel Ramos
- Castaic-area brush fire nears containment 1 min ago
- Toddler, mom robbed by knife-wielding man
- CA task force aims to control gun ownership
- 'Sexting' case at IE schools nets teen arrest
- Suspect shot, hurt after aiming gun at police
- Hacienda Heights soldier killed on 1st Iraq tour
- Greuel, Garcetti vie for last-minute votes
- Plane lands on belly after having gear issues 42 min ago
- OJ Simpson knew buddies had guns - ex-lawyer
- Connecticut commuter train crash: 70 injured
- abcnews: Flesh-eating bacteria survivor's bionic hands
- Michael Jackson death trial attorneys clash 4 min ago
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 nominees list