Los Angeles News
Tow truck pursuit ends with driver arrested by LAPD
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- An LAPD pursuit of a driver of a tow truck through the Hollywood area ended peacefully with the driver's arrest Tuesday.
The tow truck was at the scene of a collision at Woodman Avenue and Magnolia Boulevard in Sherman Oaks, according to the LAPD. Police said the driver got into an altercation with or argument with at least one officer at the scene, then drove off. The incident occurred at about 4:40 p.m.
The LAPD announced about 6:40 p.m. that the driver was wanted for assault with a deadly weapon on an officer. He reportedly tried to run over an officer.
The driver surrendered to LAPD officers at 6:45 p.m. in Glendale at Brand Boulevard and Mountain Street. Officers approached him with guns drawn. He was handcuffed without incident.
The pursuit originally proceeded from Studio City on Cahuenga Boulevard into Hollywood, then to Los Feliz. The driver then led police back into Hollywood. The pursuit then went north on Cahuenga Boulevard toward Universal City. By 6:30 p.m. the driver led police through Atwater Village into Glendale. The pursuit lasted about two hours.
The driver managed to evade at least four police "spike strips" or "stop strips" designed to puncture tires.
About 12 LAPD cruisers were in pursuit on surface streets. The tow truck driver avoided any freeway.
The tow truck is based out of Orange County, according to its decals. The company is Portola Towing based in Lake Forest.
The truck was estimated to weigh about 7.5 tons, which likely prevented police cruisers from attempting a PIT maneuver.
The driver was later identified as 31-year-old Ambartsum Sarkisyan. He was booked for assault with a deadly weapon on a police officer. His bail was set at $50,000.
lapd, car chase, pursuit, arrest, los angeles news
- Memorial Day: More travelers hitting the road
- First section of new 405 Freeway lane opens 37 min ago
- Truck in bridge collapse had permit to cross
- Disneyland holding Monstrous 'All-Nighter' 48 min ago
- 405 North crash, fuel spill snarls traffic
- Fatal S. LA drive-by shooting suspects sought 37 min ago
- Deputies shoot, killed armed man in Compton
- LA attempted murder suspect caught in Colo. 57 min ago
- Covered California announces 13 health plans
- abcnews: New clues to 'frustrated' Boston suspect 30 min ago
- NASA wants astronauts on asteroid by 2021
- Kings beat Sharks 3-0, take series lead 3-2
- Amanda Bynes arrested in NYC on pot charge 25 min ago
- OTRC: 'Hangover 3,' 'Fast & Furious 6' film reviews
- 'Epic, 'Hangover 3,' 'Fast 6' in theaters
30 min ago