Los Angeles News
Armed suspect wearing ballistic vest shot by deputies in Lancaster
LAKE LOS ANGELES, LOS ANGELES COUNTY (KABC) -- An assault suspect armed with a rifle and wearing a ballistic vest was shot and wounded by deputies in Lake Los Angeles late Saturday night.
Just before midnight, Lancaster sheriff's deputies responded to a home in the 16000 block of MacKennas Gold Avenue, where a 60-year-old woman told them her son had beaten her and threatened her with a gun.
She also told deputies that her son, 29-year-old Matthew Ridgway, was armed with a rifle, wearing a ballistic vest and said he was "prepared to go to war."
Before deputies could approach Ridgway, he ran out of the house. Authorities eventually found him hiding in a neighbor's shed and shot him.
Ridgway was treated for injuries and then booked for assault with a deadly weapon at the Lancaster sheriff's station, where he was being held on $50,000 bail.
"I thought he was dead" said Ridgway's brother, Craig Ridgway. "I always had it in the back of my head that he might be capable of this but I never seen it coming."
Ridgway's mother was treated for injuries and released.
No deputies were injured in the incident.
According to family members, Ridgway has mental health issues and had been drinking that night.
deputy-involved shooting, antelope valley, los angeles news, leanne suter
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash 28 min ago
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot 3 min ago
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- Smoke detectors crucial to avoid fire deaths
- 2 targeted in attempted kidnap, sexual battery
- 2 dead in apparent Long Beach murder-suicide
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood
- Malaysian Airlines flight goes missing 12 min ago
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February
- Ted Turner hospitalized in Argentine capital
- Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)