Los Angeles News
President Obama leaves Southland after successful fundraiser
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- President Barack Obama left Southern California on Friday after a record-breaking fundraising event at George Clooney's lavish home.
The president boarded Air Force One at about 10 a.m. for Reno, Nev., where he will turn his attention back to the economy and promoting housing policies to help homeowners avoid foreclosure.
Mr. Obama arrived in L.A. Thursday night, welcomed by cheering crowds along his motorcade. That motorcade, however, caused a traffic nightmare for some. Several roads were closed, and there was a parking snafu. No parking signs along Laurel Canyon had the wrong date, and parking officials had to notify owners individually to move their vehicles.
The fundraiser, which was held at Clooney's home in Studio City, brought in nearly $15 million - a record for a single fundraiser. Barbra Streisand and Robert Downey Jr. were just a few famous names in attendance, with dinner whipped up by Wolfgang Puck.
The campaign event was held under a stretched transparent tent outside the home. While guests paid a whopping $40,000 a plate, nearly two-thirds of the money raised came from small online donations. Thousands of Democrats entered a raffle for as little as $3 for a chance to win one of two tickets to the fundraiser.
Mr. Obama even delivered a good-natured jab at the host. The president said his famed "Hope" poster from his 2008 campaign was derived from a photo of him sitting next to Clooney when Mr. Obama was a U.S. senator. The president joked that it was the first time Clooney had been edited out of the picture.
Angelenos had mixed views about the event, with some supporting Mr. Obama's campaign while others said they found it inappropriate that he would hold a fundraiser at a celebrity's home.
same-sex marriage, president barack obama, los angeles news, darsha philips
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash 3 min ago
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Temecula man arrested in drug sales bust
- Pomona man hurt in shooting; suspect sought
- 2 pedestrians struck, killed on Norwalk street
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies 55 min ago
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video