Los Angeles News
Down-and-out women get Mom's Day makeovers
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Hundreds of women who don't have a place to call home or who struggle to make ends meet got some much needed TLC Monday. They received beauty makeovers, and the post-Mother's Day treatments did much more than just improve their looks.
Some waited in line for three hours, hot but undaunted, for a rare gift in the life of these moms.
"This is the first time ever that I've had a facial," said shelter resident Glendella Roberts.
The ladies received the full spa treatment.
"I thank everybody for doing this for me," said shelter resident Mary Burnett. "Because I didn't get nothing for Mother's Day."
It's the 24th year Fred Jordan Missions has organized the Mother's Day event in collaboration with 100 cosmetology students who volunteer. Their clients Monday were shelter residents who struggle with survival -- forget pampering.
"It has made me come to a complete stop. And I just thank God that I stopped before I killed someone," said Cheryl Amann, who is dealing with a DUI.
"I just never thought I would be in this position, it's been a very humbling experience, very humbling," said shelter resident Arlene Morgan.
So many luxury services and treatments -- what really makes it special is the compassion that comes with them.
"And sadly many of these women have been touched only in anger and to have someone lovingly take care of their hair -- what a treat," said Willie Jordan, president of Fred Jordan Missions.
The experience moved Roberts to tears; her makeup artist too.
"I'm glad I can help her out and make her feel beautiful," said the makeup artist.
"It makes me feel so good inside just to know that someone cares and to come down here and do this for us, from the bottom of my heart, thank you so much," said Roberts.
downtown, los angeles news, miriam hernandez
- OC sheriff's reserve sergeant found beaten 8 min ago
- UK attack driven by radical Islam - officials
- Los Angeles mayoral race: Eric Garcetti wins
- Man shot to death in Boston bombing probe
- Model murder trial: Case in hands of jury 59 min ago
- Injured volunteer wants thousands from hiker
- Prop D, limit on pot shops in LA, passes
- Okla. tornado tore through 13,000 buildings 48 min ago
- abcnews: US IDs 4 Americans killed by drones
- Arias jury stuck but must keep deliberating
- Curious about caviar? Class available in WeHo
- Virgin tops, Spirit flops in airline survey 55 min ago
- 'DWTS' season finale: New champion crowned
- PHOTOS: 'Dancing With The Stars' finale