Los Angeles News
UCLA robberies put students, police on alert
WESTWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Police are warning UCLA students to be careful after a series of late-night robberies.
There have been at least seven robberies near the campus since April. Los Angeles and campus police are trying to figure out if the crimes are connected.
The robberies in the North Village area of campus occurred between April 4 and May 11, usually between 11 p.m. and 3 a.m., according to police. The area affected included near Ophir Drive and Veteran, Midvale and Levering avenues, according to police.
Two robberies were reported Friday, and in at least one case a suspect displayed a firearm.
They went after items like cellphones, purses and laptop computers. Police remind students and people living near campus to walk in well-lit areas and to avoid walking alone.
Police are searching for two suspects. The suspects were described as black men between 24 and 32 years old, standing between 5 feet 10 inches and 6 feet 2 inches tall, weighing between 160 and 200 pounds. The suspects may have fled in a black Ford Thunderbird or Mercury Cougar.
Anyone with information about the crimes should contact the University of California Police Dept. at (310) 825-1491 or the LAPD West Los Angeles Station at (310) 444-0701.
robbery, ucla, los angeles news
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- Investigators reenact fatal NorCal bus crash
- Kidnap suspect search shuts down DTLA streets 1 min ago
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- Man barricaded in Whittier apartment building 21 min ago
- IE man found guilty of molesting 3 girls
- Child molestation charges for teacher dropped
- Suspicious package found at post office near USC
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- OTRC: 'Mrs. Doubtfire 2' planned, child star reacts
- Latest weather with Dallas Raines
31 min ago