Los Angeles News
Hollywood arson suspect wants mom's extradition case delayed
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Accused serial arsonist Harry Burkhart is asking a judge to delay his mother's extradition case because she is a material witness in his defense.
Burkhart, a German national, is accused of setting at least 50 arson fires in Hollywood, West Hollywood and the San Fernando Valley in a four-night crime spree.
Burkhart's mother, Dorothee Burkhart, is facing extradition because she is a fugitive from Germany, where she was charged with 19 counts of fraud and escaped custody.
The judge at Wednesday's hearing said he will monitor the extradition case for now and reconsider the defense's request if Dorothee Burkhart's extradition appears imminent.
fire, arson, los angeles news
- LA gang coordinated from Kansas house: arrest
- I-5 bridge collapses in Wash.; 3 injured 33 min ago
- Boy Scouts vote to accept openly gay boys
- Palmdale boy allegedly tortured; 2 in custody
- LB regulates loud mufflers w/ electronic sign
- Prize-winning bulldogs stolen from IE home
- 5.7-magnitude earthquake strikes NorCal city
- Covered California announces 13 health plans
- Jodi Arias sentencing: Judge declares mistrial
- abcnews: NY man rescued after month of alleged torture
- London attack investigation: 2 more arrests
- Consumer Reports tests summertime sunscreens
- Katherine Jackson cries, leaves courtroom
- OTRC: Jennifer Aniston plays stripper in 'Millers'