Los Angeles News
Man convicted of killing Malibu girl in suicide attempt
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A man accused of crashing his car and killing a young girl in a botched suicide attempt has been convicted of second-degree murder.
Prosecutors say Sina Khankhanian was despondent because he'd lost his job and drove his car into Emily Shane in Malibu in April 2010. The 13-year-old girl died at the scene.
Khankhanian's first trial ended in a mistrial in January. The girl's parents are relieved.
"The jury finally saw the truth and got justice for Emily," said Michael Shane, the girl's father. "And it won't bring her back, but at least we can close this chapter and move on."
Khankhanian faces up to 16 years to life in prison. He'll be sentenced June 15.
malibu/pacific palisades, arrest, murder, los angeles news
- Charges announced against sheriff's officials 48 min ago
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions
- Ex-SD Mayor Filner sentenced for harassment
- Holiday shipping deadlines quickly approaching
- Man arrested for Ventura transient's murder 14 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 hurt in unrelated Pomona shootings
- Icy storm persists, disrupts travel in east US
- North Korea purges Kim Jong Un's uncle
- abcnews: Campus cop fatally shoots Texas student
- Nelson Mandela memorial to see world leaders
- American Airlines, US Airways merger complete
- Jenni Rivera plane crash: New details emerge
- Leighton Meester to make Broadway debut
- OTRC: Meredith Baxter weds partner Nancy Locke