Los Angeles News
Man convicted of killing Malibu girl in suicide attempt
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A man accused of crashing his car and killing a young girl in a botched suicide attempt has been convicted of second-degree murder.
Prosecutors say Sina Khankhanian was despondent because he'd lost his job and drove his car into Emily Shane in Malibu in April 2010. The 13-year-old girl died at the scene.
Khankhanian's first trial ended in a mistrial in January. The girl's parents are relieved.
"The jury finally saw the truth and got justice for Emily," said Michael Shane, the girl's father. "And it won't bring her back, but at least we can close this chapter and move on."
Khankhanian faces up to 16 years to life in prison. He'll be sentenced June 15.
malibu/pacific palisades, arrest, murder, los angeles news
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured 1 min ago
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Malaysia missing jet may have turned back
- 2 persons of interest sought in LB attack
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years
- Obama to preserve California federal lands
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video