Los Angeles News
Metro bus driver shot dead by passenger in West Hollywood
WEST HOLLYWOOD, Calif. (KABC) -- A Metro bus driver was fatally shot by a passenger in West Hollywood on Sunday, authorities said. Deputies arrested a man seen jumping out a bus window and running down the street.
Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department officials said the 51-year-old bus driver, whose identity was not released, was rushed to a hospital, where he died of his injuries.
Metro officials said the Route 105 bus was heading east on Santa Monica Boulevard near La Cienega Boulevard shortly after 9 a.m. when a passenger opened fire on the driver, hitting him in the upper torso.
Authorities said the gunman, identified as a man in his 40s, was the only passenger on board. Witnesses reported seeing the man jumping out a rear window.
"When they arrived they discovered that the bus operator was suffering from a gunshot wound," Sheriff's Lt. Dave Dolson said. "They located the likely suspect that had surrendered himself to their custody."
A motive for the shooting was unknown.
A bomb squad was called in to investigate a suspicious-looking suitcase that had been left behind. No explosive device was found. However, two firearms, one apparently a shotgun and the other a handgun, were recovered from inside the bus.
Officials said the bus driver had worked for the Metropolitan Transportation Authority for five years.
shooting, arrest, west hollywood, los angeles news, amy powell
- Race for LA mayor too close to call
- Search for Oklahoma survivors almost complete
- 'DWTS' season finale: New champion crowned 53 min ago
- Kings lose to Sharks 2-1, series tied 2-2
- Trutanich concedes to Feuer for city attorney 10 min ago
- LA search-and-rescue on standby for Oklahoma
- Prosecutors shed light on Maribel Ramos murder
- LAPD officer accused of lewd acts on 2 girls
- Immigration bill approved by Senate committee
- Jodi Arias jury sentencing deliberations begin
- abcnews: Boston bombing probe heads to Russia
- Bin Laden photos: Court sides with US govt
- MJ wrongful death trial: Damaging emails surface
- Photos: 'Dancing With The Stars' week 10