Los Angeles News
Metro bus driver shot dead by passenger in West Hollywood
WEST HOLLYWOOD, Calif. (KABC) -- A Metro bus driver was fatally shot by a passenger in West Hollywood on Sunday, authorities said. Deputies arrested a man seen jumping out a bus window and running down the street.
Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department officials said the 51-year-old bus driver, whose identity was not released, was rushed to a hospital, where he died of his injuries.
Metro officials said the Route 105 bus was heading east on Santa Monica Boulevard near La Cienega Boulevard shortly after 9 a.m. when a passenger opened fire on the driver, hitting him in the upper torso.
Authorities said the gunman, identified as a man in his 40s, was the only passenger on board. Witnesses reported seeing the man jumping out a rear window.
"When they arrived they discovered that the bus operator was suffering from a gunshot wound," Sheriff's Lt. Dave Dolson said. "They located the likely suspect that had surrendered himself to their custody."
A motive for the shooting was unknown.
A bomb squad was called in to investigate a suspicious-looking suitcase that had been left behind. No explosive device was found. However, two firearms, one apparently a shotgun and the other a handgun, were recovered from inside the bus.
Officials said the bus driver had worked for the Metropolitan Transportation Authority for five years.
shooting, arrest, west hollywood, los angeles news, amy powell
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies 20 min ago
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim 24 min ago
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified 10 min ago
- Indio High students, faculty tested for TB
- Lancaster woman found dead; sons questioned
- Calif. jobless rate continues positive trend
- Utah's same-sex marriage ban overturned 35 min ago
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle
- abcnews: One of Van Gogh's last paintings unveiled 52 min ago
- San Jose company recalls sausage products 42 min ago
- Understanding symbols on plastic containers
- Bejo's 'Past' character sometimes unlikeable
- OTRC: Beyonce kisses Madonna's daughter (Photo)