Los Angeles News
Metro bus driver shot dead by passenger in West Hollywood
WEST HOLLYWOOD, Calif. (KABC) -- A Metro bus driver was fatally shot by a passenger in West Hollywood on Sunday, authorities said. Deputies arrested a man seen jumping out a bus window and running down the street.
Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department officials said the 51-year-old bus driver, whose identity was not released, was rushed to a hospital, where he died of his injuries.
Metro officials said the Route 105 bus was heading east on Santa Monica Boulevard near La Cienega Boulevard shortly after 9 a.m. when a passenger opened fire on the driver, hitting him in the upper torso.
Authorities said the gunman, identified as a man in his 40s, was the only passenger on board. Witnesses reported seeing the man jumping out a rear window.
"When they arrived they discovered that the bus operator was suffering from a gunshot wound," Sheriff's Lt. Dave Dolson said. "They located the likely suspect that had surrendered himself to their custody."
A motive for the shooting was unknown.
A bomb squad was called in to investigate a suspicious-looking suitcase that had been left behind. No explosive device was found. However, two firearms, one apparently a shotgun and the other a handgun, were recovered from inside the bus.
Officials said the bus driver had worked for the Metropolitan Transportation Authority for five years.
shooting, arrest, west hollywood, los angeles news, amy powell
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures 15
- 'X-Men' director accused of sexual assault
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire
- Child molestation charges for teacher dropped 13 min ago
- Suspicious package found at post office near USC 45 min ago
- Female pedestrian struck, killed in Riverside
- Police: 2 South LA fires may be connected
- LAX Terminal 7 partially evacuated over threat
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W 34 min ago
- abcnews: Conjoined twins see sunlight for 1st time
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- OTRC: Will Arnett files for divorce from Poehler