Los Angeles News
Small plane crashes in Glendale neighborhood
GLENDALE, Calif. (KABC) -- A small plane crashed at Glenwood Road near Grandview Avenue and San Fernando Road in Glendale Monday at about 8:30 p.m.
The plane appeared to go through power lines. It landed on its roof in a yard on the side of the road. Power was out in the neighborhood.
Authorities said the pilot of the Cessna 210 reported engine problems flying near El Monte Airport. The pilot was the sole occupant of the plane. He told air traffic controllers he would try to fly to Van Nuys Airport. Air traffic controllers lost radar and radio contact with the plane about 3 miles southeast of Van Nuys Airport around 8 p.m.
Authorities said he was trying to make it to Bob Hope Airport in Burbank, but was unable to make it.
"The plane was traveling in a westbound direction, struck a tree, struck a second power pole and finally came to rest in the 1200 block of Glenwood in front of a house," said Sgt. Tom Lorenz of the Glendale Police Department.
Authorities at the scene said the pilot was hospitalized with apparently minor injuries. He was taken to Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center.
The plane is owned by Allen Heng. He told Eyewitness News it was being flown by Jim Roth, an engineer from Thousand Oaks.
The cause of the crash was under investigation.
The power outage affected 2,100 customers in the surrounding area, according to Glendale Water and Power. GWP said crews were on scene working to restore power.
plane crash, los angeles news
- Metro Red, Purple lines to require TAP card 2 min ago
- Journalist Michael Hastings dies in LA crash
- Ex-LA deputy alleges corruption in department
- Winkler removed from Saugus school board
- Video released in attack of transgender woman
- MTA bus drivers claim illness from pesticide
- Woman seen on camera taking dog from OC home
- Ex-USC professor on FBI wanted list arrested
- Obama renews calls for nuclear reductions
- abcnews: TWA 800 crash not accident - investigators
- Men's Wearhouse ousts founder George Zimmer 14 min ago
- Heat beat Spurs 103-100, force Game 7
- Country singer Slim Whitman dies at age 90 45 min ago
- OTRC: Lil Wayne talks on American flag controversy