Los Angeles News
Small plane crashes in Glendale neighborhood
GLENDALE, Calif. (KABC) -- A small plane crashed at Glenwood Road near Grandview Avenue and San Fernando Road in Glendale Monday at about 8:30 p.m.
The plane appeared to go through power lines. It landed on its roof in a yard on the side of the road. Power was out in the neighborhood.
Authorities said the pilot of the Cessna 210 reported engine problems flying near El Monte Airport. The pilot was the sole occupant of the plane. He told air traffic controllers he would try to fly to Van Nuys Airport. Air traffic controllers lost radar and radio contact with the plane about 3 miles southeast of Van Nuys Airport around 8 p.m.
Authorities said he was trying to make it to Bob Hope Airport in Burbank, but was unable to make it.
"The plane was traveling in a westbound direction, struck a tree, struck a second power pole and finally came to rest in the 1200 block of Glenwood in front of a house," said Sgt. Tom Lorenz of the Glendale Police Department.
Authorities at the scene said the pilot was hospitalized with apparently minor injuries. He was taken to Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center.
The plane is owned by Allen Heng. He told Eyewitness News it was being flown by Jim Roth, an engineer from Thousand Oaks.
The cause of the crash was under investigation.
The power outage affected 2,100 customers in the surrounding area, according to Glendale Water and Power. GWP said crews were on scene working to restore power.
plane crash, los angeles news
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- Rain, winds moving across Southern California
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected
- Students allegedly hack system, change grades
- 2 taken to hospital after school bus crash
- Body found in Corona; investigation underway
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense rests its case
- Fire erupts at strip mall in Hawthorne
- Mega Millions: Georgia winner comes forward
- abcnews: Renewed Gacy probe reunites family
- India wants NYC arrested diplomat case dropped
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston: I have Lupus Myelitis 28 min ago
- Pets of the Week: Chihuahua mixes Nina, Chloe
43 min ago