Los Angeles News
Off-duty deputy surprises burglars in his home, wounds 1
COMPTON, Calif. (KABC) -- Authorities are investigating a deputy-involved shooting in Compton with an unusual twist. It happened at the deputy's home on the 1000 block of Stockwell Street.
After completing his shift, an off-duty sheriff's deputy came home around 11 a.m. Wednesday and found a door kicked in. He realized his house had been burglarized.
According to authorities, the deputy called the Compton sheriff's station and then entered his home.
"He entered the house. The house had been ransacked. A safe had been broken into. He was awaiting the arrival of Compton Station. When he heard voices, he walked to the front of the house and was confronted by two suspects, one of which was armed with a shotgun," said Sheriff's Lt. Mike Rosson.
The deputy opened fire with his handgun, striking one of the suspects. The other suspect ran from the scene.
"The only thing I have right now is a male Hispanic about 150, 160 pounds, about 5 foot 7," said Rosson.
Police believe the shotgun one of the suspects was holding was taken from the house during the burglary.
The wounded suspect was hospitalized in critical but stable condition.
burglary, shooting, deputy-involved shooting, los angeles county sheriff's department, los angeles news, amy powell
- Metro votes to keep ExpressLanes program 6 min ago
- LAPD Mid-City station shooter dies of injuries
- Afghan hospital guard kills 3 American doctors
- Willowbrook gunman kills teen at apartment 36 min ago
- 2 killed, 5 hurt in I-5 accident in Irvine
- Oxnard teacher arrested for child annoyance
- Granada Hills fire damages strip mall shops
- Ferry death toll at 175; families outraged 48 min ago
- Deputies allegedly planted guns in pot clinic
- NorCal bus crash: Mother of student sues FedEx
- abcnews: 'SOS' message saves marooned snorkelers
- 6.7-mag. quake off British Columbia coast
- NYPD Twitter backlash spreads to LAPD
- OTRC: Peter Jackson: 'The Hobbit 3' title changed
- Dana Point woman fights to keep chickens
54 min ago