Los Angeles News
Off-duty deputy surprises burglars in his home, wounds 1
COMPTON, Calif. (KABC) -- Authorities are investigating a deputy-involved shooting in Compton with an unusual twist. It happened at the deputy's home on the 1000 block of Stockwell Street.
After completing his shift, an off-duty sheriff's deputy came home around 11 a.m. Wednesday and found a door kicked in. He realized his house had been burglarized.
According to authorities, the deputy called the Compton sheriff's station and then entered his home.
"He entered the house. The house had been ransacked. A safe had been broken into. He was awaiting the arrival of Compton Station. When he heard voices, he walked to the front of the house and was confronted by two suspects, one of which was armed with a shotgun," said Sheriff's Lt. Mike Rosson.
The deputy opened fire with his handgun, striking one of the suspects. The other suspect ran from the scene.
"The only thing I have right now is a male Hispanic about 150, 160 pounds, about 5 foot 7," said Rosson.
Police believe the shotgun one of the suspects was holding was taken from the house during the burglary.
The wounded suspect was hospitalized in critical but stable condition.
burglary, shooting, deputy-involved shooting, los angeles county sheriff's department, los angeles news, amy powell
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash 52 min ago
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot 27 min ago
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- Smoke detectors crucial to avoid fire deaths
- 2 targeted in attempted kidnap, sexual battery
- Palms apartment fire: Woman found dead 35 min ago
- 2 dead in apparent Long Beach murder-suicide
- Malaysian Airlines flight goes missing 20 min ago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store 21 min ago
- abcnews: Meat contaminated w/ LSD sickens family 18 min ago
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Ted Turner hospitalized in Argentine capital
- Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- OTRC: Ke$ha leaves rehab after 2 months