Los Angeles News
Gabrielle Giffords, Mark Kelly honored at Simon Wiesenthal Center
BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (KABC) -- Former congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and her husband, astronaut Mark Kelly, made a special appearance in Beverly Hills Wednesday night.
The couple received Medals of Valor from the Simon Wiesenthal Center at the center's annual national tribute dinner at the Beverly Hilton.
Giffords, was seriously injured in a January 2011 shooting in Tucson that killed six people. Giffords represented the Tucson area in the U.S. House of Representatives. She resigned this year in January to concentrate on her ongoing recovery from the shooting.
Kelly sat vigil beside his wife's bedside in the days after she was shot and retired from NASA's astronaut corps and the Navy because of her needs.
During Wednesday night's speech, Kelly spoke of Giffords' recovery.
"She does not give up," said Kelly at the podium with Giffords. "Often as she heads off to therapy each morning, her last words to me after she gets in the car, is what?"
"Fight, fight, fight!" said Giffords.
City News Service contributed to this report.
los angeles news
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run 8 min ago
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Child welfare system 'in crisis': Commission
- OC school band chosen to march in Rose Parade
- Reward offered in Long Beach pelican attack
- 'Mother Ditch' uncovered near downtown LA
- SD police guns stolen during LA charity game
- abcnews: Man accused of killing teens who entered home
- South Korea ferry accident death toll now 135
- Aereo case: Justices skeptical, concerned
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- Zadan, Meron to produce Oscars for 3rd year
- OTRC: Drew Barrymore gives birth to baby No. 2