Los Angeles News
Gabrielle Giffords, Mark Kelly honored at Simon Wiesenthal Center
BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (KABC) -- Former congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and her husband, astronaut Mark Kelly, made a special appearance in Beverly Hills Wednesday night.
The couple received Medals of Valor from the Simon Wiesenthal Center at the center's annual national tribute dinner at the Beverly Hilton.
Giffords, was seriously injured in a January 2011 shooting in Tucson that killed six people. Giffords represented the Tucson area in the U.S. House of Representatives. She resigned this year in January to concentrate on her ongoing recovery from the shooting.
Kelly sat vigil beside his wife's bedside in the days after she was shot and retired from NASA's astronaut corps and the Navy because of her needs.
During Wednesday night's speech, Kelly spoke of Giffords' recovery.
"She does not give up," said Kelly at the podium with Giffords. "Often as she heads off to therapy each morning, her last words to me after she gets in the car, is what?"
"Fight, fight, fight!" said Giffords.
City News Service contributed to this report.
los angeles news
- Gunman at large in East LA party shooting 4 min ago
- Drug boat washes ashore in Manhattan Beach 30 min ago
- 2 LB suspects accused of human trafficking
- Anaheim begins closing marijuana dispensaries
- OC teen to be tried as adult in dad beating
- Ex-Compton deputy fire chief out on bail 11 min ago
- Palmdale boy dies after allegedly being tortured
- Odor forces evacuation of Pasadena building
- Are bridges in Southern California safe?
- Committee approves dental care to Medi-Cal
- Truck in bridge collapse had permit to cross
- abcnews: WWII medals back after mistaken donation
- 'The Rock' returns for 'Fast & Furious 6'
- OTRC: Vin Diesel denies steroids use (Video)
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
6 min ago