Los Angeles News
Gabrielle Giffords, Mark Kelly honored at Simon Wiesenthal Center
BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (KABC) -- Former congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and her husband, astronaut Mark Kelly, made a special appearance in Beverly Hills Wednesday night.
The couple received Medals of Valor from the Simon Wiesenthal Center at the center's annual national tribute dinner at the Beverly Hilton.
Giffords, was seriously injured in a January 2011 shooting in Tucson that killed six people. Giffords represented the Tucson area in the U.S. House of Representatives. She resigned this year in January to concentrate on her ongoing recovery from the shooting.
Kelly sat vigil beside his wife's bedside in the days after she was shot and retired from NASA's astronaut corps and the Navy because of her needs.
During Wednesday night's speech, Kelly spoke of Giffords' recovery.
"She does not give up," said Kelly at the podium with Giffords. "Often as she heads off to therapy each morning, her last words to me after she gets in the car, is what?"
"Fight, fight, fight!" said Giffords.
City News Service contributed to this report.
los angeles news
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Temecula man arrested in drug sales bust
- Pomona man hurt in shooting; suspect sought
- 2 pedestrians struck, killed on Norwalk street
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies 42 min ago
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video