Los Angeles News
Gabrielle Giffords, Mark Kelly honored at Simon Wiesenthal Center
BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (KABC) -- Former congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and her husband, astronaut Mark Kelly, made a special appearance in Beverly Hills Wednesday night.
The couple received Medals of Valor from the Simon Wiesenthal Center at the center's annual national tribute dinner at the Beverly Hilton.
Giffords, was seriously injured in a January 2011 shooting in Tucson that killed six people. Giffords represented the Tucson area in the U.S. House of Representatives. She resigned this year in January to concentrate on her ongoing recovery from the shooting.
Kelly sat vigil beside his wife's bedside in the days after she was shot and retired from NASA's astronaut corps and the Navy because of her needs.
During Wednesday night's speech, Kelly spoke of Giffords' recovery.
"She does not give up," said Kelly at the podium with Giffords. "Often as she heads off to therapy each morning, her last words to me after she gets in the car, is what?"
"Fight, fight, fight!" said Giffords.
City News Service contributed to this report.
los angeles news
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- Rain, winds moving across Southern California
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected
- Students allegedly hack system, change grades
- 2 taken to hospital after school bus crash
- Body found in Corona; investigation underway
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense rests its case
- Fire erupts at strip mall in Hawthorne
- Mega Millions: Georgia winner comes forward
- abcnews: Renewed Gacy probe reunites family
- India wants NYC arrested diplomat case dropped
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston: I have Lupus Myelitis 28 min ago
- Pets of the Week: Chihuahua mixes Nina, Chloe
43 min ago