Los Angeles News
The Abbey puts ban on bachelorette parties
WEST HOLLYWOOD, Calif. (KABC) -- The Abbey, a night spot known as the world's best gay bar, is closing its doors to bachelorette parties.
"To see the girls in here having a great time and the celebration for their big day to get married, I love seeing that. But I want to experience that same party feeling to know that I'm going to be able to get married one day," said David Coley, owner of The Abbey.
Cooley said he's taking a stand to support his large gay and lesbian clientele and the fight for same-sex marriage. His decision comes on the heels of a gay marriage ban in North Carolina. Customers are reacting positively to the ban.
"I think it's great, I mean The Abbey is an establishment that is for both heterosexuals like myself and the gay community, but I think it's important for the community to support the rights of the gay community as well," said patron Summer Chapin.
The Abbey hopes other gay bars across the country will institute similar bans to show support for same-sex marriage.
same-sex marriage, west hollywood, los angeles news, amy powell
- Boy Scouts vote to accept openly gay boys
- Palmdale boy allegedly tortured; 2 in custody
- LA gang coordinated from Kansas house: arrest
- Jodi Arias sentencing: Judge declares mistrial
- Cold case: Cadaver dog fails to pick up scent
- Citibank in Tarzana robbed; suspects get away
- IE school, parents make push for crosswalk
- 5-acre brush fire burns near Castaic school
- I-5 bridge collapses in Wash.; people in water 37 min ago
- abcnews: NY man rescued after month of alleged torture
- London attack investigation: 2 more arrests
- Consumer Reports tests summertime sunscreens 22 min ago
- SI model accepts local teen's prom proposal
- OTRC: Jennifer Aniston plays stripper in 'Millers'