Los Angeles News
The Abbey puts ban on bachelorette parties
WEST HOLLYWOOD, Calif. (KABC) -- The Abbey, a night spot known as the world's best gay bar, is closing its doors to bachelorette parties.
"To see the girls in here having a great time and the celebration for their big day to get married, I love seeing that. But I want to experience that same party feeling to know that I'm going to be able to get married one day," said David Coley, owner of The Abbey.
Cooley said he's taking a stand to support his large gay and lesbian clientele and the fight for same-sex marriage. His decision comes on the heels of a gay marriage ban in North Carolina. Customers are reacting positively to the ban.
"I think it's great, I mean The Abbey is an establishment that is for both heterosexuals like myself and the gay community, but I think it's important for the community to support the rights of the gay community as well," said patron Summer Chapin.
The Abbey hopes other gay bars across the country will institute similar bans to show support for same-sex marriage.
same-sex marriage, west hollywood, los angeles news, amy powell
- Glendale Galleria $85K bracelet thief sought
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Compton chase victim remembered by loved ones
- Van Nuys arsonist suspect sought by LAFD
- HB riot suspect sentenced to 12 days in jail
- Man arrested for suspected arson in Oxnard
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- SUV makers unveil new efficient features
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'