Los Angeles News
The Abbey puts ban on bachelorette parties
WEST HOLLYWOOD, Calif. (KABC) -- The Abbey, a night spot known as the world's best gay bar, is closing its doors to bachelorette parties.
"To see the girls in here having a great time and the celebration for their big day to get married, I love seeing that. But I want to experience that same party feeling to know that I'm going to be able to get married one day," said David Coley, owner of The Abbey.
Cooley said he's taking a stand to support his large gay and lesbian clientele and the fight for same-sex marriage. His decision comes on the heels of a gay marriage ban in North Carolina. Customers are reacting positively to the ban.
"I think it's great, I mean The Abbey is an establishment that is for both heterosexuals like myself and the gay community, but I think it's important for the community to support the rights of the gay community as well," said patron Summer Chapin.
The Abbey hopes other gay bars across the country will institute similar bans to show support for same-sex marriage.
same-sex marriage, west hollywood, los angeles news, amy powell
- Oklahoma tornadoes level homes, kill man 16 min ago
- Deputies gun down armed man during fight
- Loot-seeking vandals trash Palmdale church
- Calif. law takes effect on microstamping guns
- 1 arrested, 2 outstanding after VC pursuit
- IE woman punches officer, tries to take Taser
- Deputies rescue stranded Swedish family
- Body found near area where hiker went missing
- Machete-wielding man shot by Inglewood police
- abcnews: 1st lady jokes about president's failures
- Beckham in tears as he bids farewell to Paris
- 'Star Trek' tops box office with $70.6M debut
- Swift to perform at Billboard Music Awards
- OTRC: Jennifer Lawrence's accused stalker arrested