Los Angeles News
Miramonte Elementary parents, former students sue LAUSD
SOUTH LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Parents and several former students of Miramonte Elementary School are suing the Los Angeles Unified School District.
The lawsuit alleges 11 students suffered neglect and emotional distress. It names school Superintendent John Deasy and all seven school board members as defendants but does not specifically mention former Miramonte teacher Mark Berndt.
Berndt is accused of 23 counts of lewd conduct and is being held on $23 million bail. He has pleaded not guilty. His next court appearance was set for June 14.
Twenty other former students filed a similar lawsuit earlier this month.
lausd, sex crimes, legal, los angeles news
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected
- Rain, winds move into Southern California
- Students allegedly hack system, change grades
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense rests its case
- 2 taken to hospital after school bus crash 25 min ago
- Body found in Corona; investigation underway 22 min ago
- Fire erupts at strip mall in Hawthorne
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- Mega Millions: Georgia winner comes forward
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- abcnews: Renewed Gacy probe reunites family
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Phil Robertson suspended from 'Duck Dynasty'