Los Angeles News
Miramonte Elementary parents, former students sue LAUSD
SOUTH LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Parents and several former students of Miramonte Elementary School are suing the Los Angeles Unified School District.
The lawsuit alleges 11 students suffered neglect and emotional distress. It names school Superintendent John Deasy and all seven school board members as defendants but does not specifically mention former Miramonte teacher Mark Berndt.
Berndt is accused of 23 counts of lewd conduct and is being held on $23 million bail. He has pleaded not guilty. His next court appearance was set for June 14.
Twenty other former students filed a similar lawsuit earlier this month.
lausd, sex crimes, legal, los angeles news
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- Malaysia air force: Jet may have turned back
- Business leaders concerned about LADWP
- Roommate arrested in Westmont homicide
- 39-year-old man found dead in Apple Valley
- 5 measles cases in Orange County confirmed
- 5-alarm fire destroys San Francisco building 48 min ago
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer 46 min ago
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Keith Richards releasing children's book