Los Angeles News
Miramonte Elementary parents, former students sue LAUSD
SOUTH LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Parents and several former students of Miramonte Elementary School are suing the Los Angeles Unified School District.
The lawsuit alleges 11 students suffered neglect and emotional distress. It names school Superintendent John Deasy and all seven school board members as defendants but does not specifically mention former Miramonte teacher Mark Berndt.
Berndt is accused of 23 counts of lewd conduct and is being held on $23 million bail. He has pleaded not guilty. His next court appearance was set for June 14.
Twenty other former students filed a similar lawsuit earlier this month.
lausd, sex crimes, legal, los angeles news
- 2 LB suspects accused of human trafficking
- Anaheim begins closing marijuana dispensaries
- Odor forces evacuation of Pasadena building
- Memorial Day: Gas prices aren't stopping drivers
- Palmdale boy dies after allegedly being tortured
- Are bridges in Southern California safe?
- LA attempted murder suspect caught in Colo.
- Committee approves dental care to Medi-Cal
- Truck in bridge collapse had permit to cross
- UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted; 2 arrested
- abcnews: New clues to 'frustrated' Boston suspect
- New flu vaccine made from tobacco plant in works
- 'The Rock' returns for 'Fast & Furious 6'
- OTRC: Leonardo DiCaprio space trip nabs $1.5 mill