Los Angeles News
Miramonte Elementary parents, former students sue LAUSD
SOUTH LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Parents and several former students of Miramonte Elementary School are suing the Los Angeles Unified School District.
The lawsuit alleges 11 students suffered neglect and emotional distress. It names school Superintendent John Deasy and all seven school board members as defendants but does not specifically mention former Miramonte teacher Mark Berndt.
Berndt is accused of 23 counts of lewd conduct and is being held on $23 million bail. He has pleaded not guilty. His next court appearance was set for June 14.
Twenty other former students filed a similar lawsuit earlier this month.
lausd, sex crimes, legal, los angeles news
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures peds 1 min ago
- Rizzo gets 12 years in prison for corruption
- Jury deadlocks in OC distracted driving case
- 290 missing, 6 dead in S. Korea ferry disaster
- 3 'pimps' busted for Compton prostitution ring
- Victim found on 605 Freeway dies of injuries
- Lake Elsinore man arrested for assault
- Possible 5th victim sought in serial murders
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar
- abcnews: Missing girls case solved 40 years later
- Pro-Russian insurgents seize armored vehicles
- LA Register newspaper takes on digital age
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- OTRC: AC/DC: Malcolm Young taking break