Los Angeles News
Culver City chiropractor Robert Rainey dies following brutal attack
CULVER CITY, Calif. (KABC) -- A well-known chiropractor in Culver City died Thursday after a patient found him brutally beaten in his office.
Investigators say Robert Rainey's murder was especially vicious. He had a broken jaw and his teeth had been kicked in. Rainey, 54, was found by a patient in his second floor office in strip mall at the 9200 block of Venice Boulevard.
"Around 8 a.m. one of his patients showed up for their regularly scheduled appointment, walked into the office and found Dr. Rainey lying on the floor. That patient immediately dialed 911," said LAPD Officer Bruce Borihanh.
Rainey was rushed to a hospital where he died a short time later. Investigators said they only have a vague description of a man with a pipe or bat spotted in the area. They're now left trying to figure out who would want to kill the long-time chiropractor.
Police say the investigation is ongoing and they have no suspects at this time. However they do believe robbery might have been a motive.
Rainey had more than 20 years experience as a chiropractor and posted a number of informational videos to YouTube. He is also the brother of L.A. Times media critic James Rainey and the son of character actor Ford Rainey.
Rainey's murder comes as a shock to many people in the surrounding neighborhood, though most say they still consider the area safe.
"We feel comfortable, I walk the dogs by myself at night and don't feel like there's anything be concerned about," said Culver City resident Lauren Trethric.
Anyone with information about this case is asked to call the LAPD tip line at 1-877-LAPD-247.
murder, culver city, los angeles news, rob hayes
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks 52 min ago
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well
- 3 new Hollywood sex abuse lawsuits expected
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 4-car crash
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role