Los Angeles News
LAPD detective sets Ferris wheel record
SANTA MONICA, Calif. (KABC) -- An LAPD detective has officially set the Guinness World Record for the longest ride on a Ferris wheel in Santa Monica.
Gus Martinez began the ride on the 130-foot Pacific Wheel Ferris wheel on the Santa Monica Pier on Thursday morning. Round and round he went for 25 hours and 30 seconds.
The 28-year LAPD veteran said despite the queasiness and the cold, the accomplishment was well worth it.
"I'm proud of myself. I was glad that I was able to do this, but not for me," Martinez said. "I did it for Special Olympics."
Martinez is a coach for the Special Olympics, mentoring and training not only his 23-year-old son Jason, who has Down syndrome, but other young athletes as well.
"They can accomplish anything," Martinez said. "They should be looked at and treated like any other teenager, any other child. They don't have limitations."
Jason has won 30 gold medals in Special Olympics swimming. He and his dad carried the torch for Special Olympics, handing it off to some of the 3,500 local law enforcement officers who support the games.
The Santa Monica Police Department will watch over the torch this weekend, and then kick off the 500-mile relay next week, leading up to the opening ceremony of the Special Olympics next Saturday in Long Beach.
Donations for Special Olympics Southern California can be made at http://www.pacpark.com/worldrecord/.
unbelievable, santa monica, los angeles news, jovana lara
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Child welfare system 'in crisis': Commission
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- Funeral held for LAPD Officer Chris Cortijo
- OC school band chosen to march in Rose Parade
- Reward offered in Long Beach pelican attack
- 'Mother Ditch' uncovered near downtown LA
- SD police guns stolen during LA charity game
- abcnews: Man accused of killing teens who entered home
- South Korea ferry accident death toll now 135
- Aereo case: Justices skeptical, concerned
- Epilepsy treatment uses laser to stop seizures
- Zadan, Meron to produce Oscars for 3rd year
- OTRC: Drew Barrymore gives birth to baby No. 2