Los Angeles News
LAPD detective sets Ferris wheel record
SANTA MONICA, Calif. (KABC) -- An LAPD detective has officially set the Guinness World Record for the longest ride on a Ferris wheel in Santa Monica.
Gus Martinez began the ride on the 130-foot Pacific Wheel Ferris wheel on the Santa Monica Pier on Thursday morning. Round and round he went for 25 hours and 30 seconds.
The 28-year LAPD veteran said despite the queasiness and the cold, the accomplishment was well worth it.
"I'm proud of myself. I was glad that I was able to do this, but not for me," Martinez said. "I did it for Special Olympics."
Martinez is a coach for the Special Olympics, mentoring and training not only his 23-year-old son Jason, who has Down syndrome, but other young athletes as well.
"They can accomplish anything," Martinez said. "They should be looked at and treated like any other teenager, any other child. They don't have limitations."
Jason has won 30 gold medals in Special Olympics swimming. He and his dad carried the torch for Special Olympics, handing it off to some of the 3,500 local law enforcement officers who support the games.
The Santa Monica Police Department will watch over the torch this weekend, and then kick off the 500-mile relay next week, leading up to the opening ceremony of the Special Olympics next Saturday in Long Beach.
Donations for Special Olympics Southern California can be made at http://www.pacpark.com/worldrecord/.
unbelievable, santa monica, los angeles news, jovana lara
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected 4 min ago
- Students allegedly hack system, change grades
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense rests its case
- Fire erupts at strip mall in Hawthorne
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash
- LA Council speaks on immigration deportations
- Mega Millions: Georgia winner comes forward
- abcnews: Renewed Gacy probe reunites family 3 min ago
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- Electroporation may treat melanoma patients
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Justin Bieber retiring? Manager responds