Los Angeles News
Troops celebrate Army Birthday Ball in Long Beach
LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- The Annual Army Birthday Ball saw lots of star power and heroes Friday night in Long Beach. Former soldier and actor J.R. Martinez gave an emotional message to those gathered there.
"My scars were my new uniform, my words were now my new weapon," he said as civilians and soldiers sat side by side for a celebration of their service.
Those who recently returned from Afghanistan say it's a something they'll never forget.
"Being part of something that's larger than yourself, you have to work together as a team in order to get things accomplished," said U.S. Army Staff Sgt. Jose Rameriez.
For the 200 soldiers in attendance, it was the chance to celebrate with the brass and celebrities like Martinez and fellow actor Rick Schoerder as well as Miss America 2012. All cost were covered by donations from the public.
"It's always good for them to kind of recognize us for what we've done, and what we're continuing to do and what we'll do in the future," said California Army National Guard Col. Myles Williams.
u.s. troops, long beach, los angeles news, leanne suter
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise 56 min ago
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins 7 min ago
- Roommate arrested in Westmont homicide
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait 7 min ago
- Coach pleads no contest to molesting girls 38 min ago
- Missing hiker rescued in Santa Clarita canyon
- LAPD crash: Funeral services announced 9 min ago
- Portion of 405 South to close for 2 nights
- 5 measles cases in Orange County confirmed
- CVS allegedly lost track of 37K painkillers
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested 31 min ago
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Keith Richards releasing children's book