Los Angeles News
USS Iowa arrives at Port of Los Angeles
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The USS Iowa entered Los Angeles harbor Saturday morning after making its likely final voyage in open water.
Tugboats guided the ship through the narrow Angel's Gate harbor entrance shortly before 9 a.m. as the U.S. Coast Guard enforced a 100-yard safety zone around it.
The Iowa was previously anchored off the coast of San Pedro since Wednesday for cleaning.
The Pacific Battleship Center spent two years and $7 million to refurbish and buy and the ship from the U.S. Navy, which had mothballed the Iowa in the Bay Area for the last 20 years.
The 70-year-old battleship, which is 887 feet long and weighs 58,000 tons, will become a floating museum, slated to open July 7. It will include interactive tours, allowing visitors to experience life at sea during active duty. Admission to the museum will be $18 for the general public, $15 for retired members of the military, and $10 for those between 6 and 17 years old.
Local leaders hope the ship will mean a big economic boost to the area.
"We expect there to be at least 400,000 people coming to the USS Iowa every year, which would be a huge impact on the Port of Los Angeles, the city of L.A. and the San Pedro area," said Damian Jones with the Pacific Battleship Center.
The Iowa saw battle during World War II and the Korean War. Former President Franklin D. Roosevelt also traveled on the vessel.
port of los angeles, u.s. troops, los angeles news, darsha philips
- Fast food workers protest, want $15 an hour
- US teacher killed in Benghazi: officials
- The Game raises money for family of slain boy
- Motorcycle officer struck by hit-run driver
- 2 deputies OK after crash on West 105 Freeway
- LA council OKs restrictions on e-cig sellers
- Cold snap moving across Southern California
- Idaho school bus crash: 1 child killed, 4 hurt 4 min ago
- Bratton picked as NYPD commissioner again
- Stolen truck with radioactive load found
- abcnews: Teen saved after swallowing magnets
- Manhattan Toy Quixel baby rattles recalled 11 min ago
- Paul Walker autopsy results released
- OTRC: Beyonce posts bikini pics, goes on vegan diet
- Holiday headaches triggers to watch out for
58 min ago