Los Angeles News
LAPD officer's elderly mother found shot dead in South LA home
SOUTH LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The elderly mother of a police officer was found shot to death in her South Los Angeles home Sunday, authorities said.
Police said they received a call before noon from the victim's son, a Los Angeles Police Department officer. They said he discovered his mother's body at her home in the 1600 block of West 66th Street.
Detectives said the officer, who was not identified, was with his mother on Saturday and dropped her off at her house about 7 p.m. He called her Sunday morning, but she didn't answer the phone. He went to her house to check on her and found her in bed with a gunshot wound to the chest.
Detectives said there were no signs of forced entry at the house, but have few other details about the case.
"We don't have any motive, all we know is that she was found dead of a gunshot wound," said LAPD Capt. Dennis Kato. "Other than that, we have no idea what the motive was, whether it was robbery, a burglary, a dispute of some kind."
"That's an 81-year-old woman," said neighbor Irene Devance. "It's a tragedy. So close to home."
The victim's son is a veteran officer who works at the police academy training new recruits.
lapd, murder, shooting, los angeles news, amy powell
- Ambulance crash: 4 injured in Signal Hill 21 min ago
- S.Korea ferry crew actions were 'murderous' 53 min ago
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well 37 min ago
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- Alleged arsonist Tased by police in Hollywood 50 min ago
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 4-car crash
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- abcnews: Car bursts into flames in lion habitat
- Hyun-Jin Ryu raises money for ferry victims
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role
- Kettlebells can help burn calories fast
38 min ago