Los Angeles News
LAPD officer's elderly mother found shot dead in South LA home
SOUTH LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The elderly mother of a police officer was found shot to death in her South Los Angeles home Sunday, authorities said.
Police said they received a call before noon from the victim's son, a Los Angeles Police Department officer. They said he discovered his mother's body at her home in the 1600 block of West 66th Street.
Detectives said the officer, who was not identified, was with his mother on Saturday and dropped her off at her house about 7 p.m. He called her Sunday morning, but she didn't answer the phone. He went to her house to check on her and found her in bed with a gunshot wound to the chest.
Detectives said there were no signs of forced entry at the house, but have few other details about the case.
"We don't have any motive, all we know is that she was found dead of a gunshot wound," said LAPD Capt. Dennis Kato. "Other than that, we have no idea what the motive was, whether it was robbery, a burglary, a dispute of some kind."
"That's an 81-year-old woman," said neighbor Irene Devance. "It's a tragedy. So close to home."
The victim's son is a veteran officer who works at the police academy training new recruits.
lapd, murder, shooting, los angeles news, amy powell
- Malaysian PM: Jet's disappearance deliberate
- Gorman brush fire: Crews gaining upper hand
- Earthquake w/ mag-3.9 rattles Castaic area
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Woman, horse rescued at Angeles Nat'l Forest
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- Green cars for rent at niche LA-based company 3 min ago
- Baby gorilla born through rare C-section
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies 38 min ago
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report