Los Angeles News
Winnetka barricade suspect surrenders to LAPD
WINNETKA, Calif. (KABC) -- An armed man who barricaded himself in the garage of a home in Winnetka on Monday surrendered to LAPD after hours of negotiations.
Police say the suspect was accused in a domestic violence incident involving his wife. LAPD officers responded to the scene at Winnetka Avenue and Vanowen Street after the woman called around 5 a.m. to report that the man was trying to break into her home.
When police arrived, the woman said her husband had barricaded himself in the home. Police believed he was in the garage. They tried talking to the man by peering over a fence, but they say he pointed a shotgun at them.
Officers then called in a SWAT team, and a robot was sent into the home. The team also evacuated the woman, another relative who also lives in the home and neighbors as a precaution.
The suspect surrendered just before 3 p.m. without further incident.
Winnteka Avenue was closed from Victory Boulevard and Vanowen Street due to the incident.
standoff, los angeles news, melissa macbride
- NYC apartment explosion, collapse kills 2 11 min ago
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video
- Missing flight's last words were routine 12 min ago
- Tanker crash shuts I-5 North lanes in Castaic 24 min ago
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- LA Co. focuses on stormwater capture projects
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- CA DMV mulls how to regulate driverless cars
- Wild Colorado chase ends after 3 carjackings 8 min ago
- abcnews: Target thigh gap photo flap sparks outrage
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: 'The Big Bang Theory' renewed for 3 seasons
- Unbelievable scenes from Colorado car chase
35 min ago
- Viewer video from East Harlem explosion site
34 min ago