Los Angeles News
Crenshaw District light rail line construction begins
CRENSHAW DISTRICT, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A new rail system is expected to bring better public transit and lots of jobs to South Los Angeles.
Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa joined L.A. County Supervisor Mark Ridley-Thomas and other officials Monday to launch the beginning of construction of the Crenshaw-to-LAX light-rail line.
The 8.5-mile line will make commuting easier for residents of the Crenshaw District and several other communities.
And thanks to a labor agreement between Metro and the building trades, the project means 18,000 construction jobs, with 40 percent of the employees coming from local neighborhoods.
travel, south los angeles, los angeles international airport, los angeles news
- Kidnap suspect search shuts down DTLA streets 38 min ago
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- IE man found guilty of molesting 3 girls 27 min ago
- Police: 2 South LA fires may be connected
- Child molestation charges for teacher dropped
- Suspicious package found at post office near USC
- LAX Terminal 7 partially evacuated over threat
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Toddler found playing inside toy claw machine
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- OTRC: 'Mrs. Doubtfire 2' planned, child star reacts