Los Angeles News
Crenshaw District light rail line construction begins
CRENSHAW DISTRICT, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A new rail system is expected to bring better public transit and lots of jobs to South Los Angeles.
Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa joined L.A. County Supervisor Mark Ridley-Thomas and other officials Monday to launch the beginning of construction of the Crenshaw-to-LAX light-rail line.
The 8.5-mile line will make commuting easier for residents of the Crenshaw District and several other communities.
And thanks to a labor agreement between Metro and the building trades, the project means 18,000 construction jobs, with 40 percent of the employees coming from local neighborhoods.
travel, south los angeles, los angeles international airport, los angeles news
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting 25 min ago
- NYC explosion kills 7; rescuers resume search
- 2 dead after car plows into crowd near SXSW
- Malaysia: No debris at spot on China images
- 2 sought for stealing purses at Bell salons
- Indecent exposure suspect sought in Irvine
- Bell trial: Rizzo's sentencing postponed
- Body of man found at Montebello parking lot
- Colorado River Board of CA discusses drought
- FBI hunting Hawaii for top terror suspect
- abcnews: Target thigh gap photo flap sparks outrage
- Soldier pops out of box, surprises daughter
- Chris Pine arrested for DUI in New Zealand
- OTRC: 'The Big Bang Theory' renewed for 3 seasons
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
12 min ago