Los Angeles News
Compton youth pastor shot, killed in front of house in Venice
COMPTON, Calif. (KABC) -- At the Greater Zion Church in Compton on Tuesday night, a community came together to try to cope with the senseless shooting death of their youth pastor.
Oscar Duncan, 23, was walking home in the 600 block of Santa Clara Avenue in Venice around 10:30 p.m. Monday when a white car pulled up next to him. A suspect opened fired and shot Duncan in the head outside his house.
"We're going to miss his presence here, because he never missed a Sunday the whole time that he came here," Pastor Michael Fisher said. "He never missed a Thursday night bible study with the youth."
Duncan was also a singer and the music studio director at the Boys and Girls Club in Venice. Mentoring youth in the inner city was his passion, and he touched many lives.
"He always strived for youth to just go for whatever they believe in," said church member Brianna Key.
On Tuesday night, Duncan's neighbors paid their respect at a makeshift memorial outside his house. Flowers, candles and a card with dozens of messages marked the spot where Duncan was gunned down.
Los Angeles homicide detectives said they had little to go on in their search for Duncan's killer. They had no suspect description and no motive for why Duncan was killed. He had no gang ties and acted as a brother and father figure to those who knew him.
As for the youth who looked up to Duncan, they said they would find a way to keep the faith because that's what he would have wanted.
shooting, los angeles news, leslie miller
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar 3 min ago
- 292 missing, 4 dead in S. Korea ferry disaster
- West Adams fire in converted garage injures 4
- Man found tied up, burned on 605 Freeway 21 min ago
- Victim's mother faces murder suspects in court 54 min ago
- State audit: Cudahy must repay $22.7 million
- Murrieta suspect fixated on girls' socks
- Teen caught egging homeless woman in Lancaster
- LA Register newspaper takes on digital age
- First women move into Army combat jobs
- abcnews: Conjoined twins leave Dallas hospital
- Photos: Boston Marathon bombing - 1 year later
- 'Fast & Furious' enlists Paul Walker's brothers
- OTRC: Ice Cube clarifies Paul Walker comments