Los Angeles News
President Barack Obama attends last fundraiser before leaving Southland
BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (KABC) -- President Barack Obama attended one last fundraiser Thursday to collect some more campaign cash before wrapping up his trip to Southern California.
Mr. Obama was at a $2,500-a-plate breakfast in the affluent View Park neighborhood. Following the event, the president took off for Nevada to speak at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. He was scheduled to be back in Washington, D.C. by evening.
The president has attended a record of over 150 fundraising events since taking office. In the month of May alone, Mr. Obama and the Democratic Party have raise $60 million for his re-election efforts. However, GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney has out-raised Mr. Obama. Romney's camp reported a jointed fundraising total of $76.8 million for the month of May.
The president attended two star-studded fundraising events in Beverly Hills on Wednesday. Capitalizing in his recent public decision to support same-sex marriage, the president attended a sold-out gala held by the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Leadership Council.
"If anybody out there asks you what this campaign's about, you tell them it's still about hope and change," the president said during his address.
However, during his 30-minute speech, the president never specifically mentioned same-sex marriage. Many in the LGBT community said that didn't matter.
"By his presence here, he's on our side. We know that, and we're connected with him and we're for him. But he did mention all the things he has accomplished," said Tim Robinson of West Hollywood.
The crowd of 600 paid more than $1,200 a ticket to hear the president speak. Afterward, Mr. Obama went to a $25,000 a plate fundraiser dinner at the home of "Glee" co-creator Ryan Murphy.
At the conclusion of his Southland trip, the president was expected to have raised $4.6 million.
president barack obama, traffic delay, westside, los angeles news, darsha philips
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found 29 min ago
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- Fatal South LA fire determined suspicious
- Oxnard residents burglarize home
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- abcnews: Meat contaminated w/ LSD sickens family
- Florida mom charged with attempted murder
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Former NFL player Sharper to stay in jail
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- OTRC: Ke$ha leaves rehab after 2 months