Los Angeles News
Foot pursuit leads to 10 Freeway carjacking
CULVER CITY, Calif. (KABC) -- Los Angeles Police and Culver City Police were searching for a carjacking suspect Thursday.
According to Culver City Police, officers were in foot pursuit of a suspect who ran onto the 10 Freeway, where he tried to carjack a vehicle unsuccessfully.
The suspect then reportedly ran to the La Brea Avenue off-ramp and carjacked a Hyundai, forcing the driver to go west on the 10 toward the 405 Freeway.
Witnesses told officers the suspect was on the freeway pulling door handles of slow-moving cars. He then reportedly jumped through the back window of a gold-colored Hyundai.
Lucky for the carjacking victim, Gomez only wanted her to drop him off at Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard and Vermont Avenue five miles away. She did, then drove herself home before calling 911. She is said to be doing OK.
The suspect was described as 5 feet 8 inches tall, weighing 120 pounds, with a shaved head. He was last seen wearing shorts, but no shirt or shoes. Police say he lost his sandals during the foot chase.
Police believe the suspect is Edgar Gomez, 23, who is on probation for three LAPD cases. Gomez was reportedly under surveillance since Wednesday on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon. He was still at large Thursday night. Police say if Gomez has linked up with gang member friends since the afternoon, he is likely armed.
Gomez is believed to be connected to a street robbery that happened at 1 a.m. Wednesday on La Cienega and Smiley in Culver City. There were three victims in that robbery. The victims were not injured.
Four suspects were reportedly involved in the robbery: Two Hispanic males and two Hispanic females. Three were taken into custody. Culver City Police believe the fourth suspect, still outstanding, is Gomez.
Gomez was earlier spotted near his residence on the 4600 block of Lomita. He drove away, then bailed out near La Brea and the 10. He ran onto the freeway then.
LAPD officers searched Gomez's residence Thursday in Mid-City after the carjacking.
westside, culver city, los angeles news, miriam hernandez
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet 10 min ago
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Driver shot, injured on 14 Fwy in Palmdale
- Boy, 11, on scooter struck by tractor-trailer
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- BART, labor union leaders reach new deal
- NJ mall carjacking, shooting: 4 men arrested
- US holiday travelers brace for foul weather
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist 10 min ago
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'