Los Angeles News
Foot pursuit leads to 10 Freeway carjacking
CULVER CITY, Calif. (KABC) -- Los Angeles Police and Culver City Police were searching for a carjacking suspect Thursday.
According to Culver City Police, officers were in foot pursuit of a suspect who ran onto the 10 Freeway, where he tried to carjack a vehicle unsuccessfully.
The suspect then reportedly ran to the La Brea Avenue off-ramp and carjacked a Hyundai, forcing the driver to go west on the 10 toward the 405 Freeway.
Witnesses told officers the suspect was on the freeway pulling door handles of slow-moving cars. He then reportedly jumped through the back window of a gold-colored Hyundai.
Lucky for the carjacking victim, Gomez only wanted her to drop him off at Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard and Vermont Avenue five miles away. She did, then drove herself home before calling 911. She is said to be doing OK.
The suspect was described as 5 feet 8 inches tall, weighing 120 pounds, with a shaved head. He was last seen wearing shorts, but no shirt or shoes. Police say he lost his sandals during the foot chase.
Police believe the suspect is Edgar Gomez, 23, who is on probation for three LAPD cases. Gomez was reportedly under surveillance since Wednesday on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon. He was still at large Thursday night. Police say if Gomez has linked up with gang member friends since the afternoon, he is likely armed.
Gomez is believed to be connected to a street robbery that happened at 1 a.m. Wednesday on La Cienega and Smiley in Culver City. There were three victims in that robbery. The victims were not injured.
Four suspects were reportedly involved in the robbery: Two Hispanic males and two Hispanic females. Three were taken into custody. Culver City Police believe the fourth suspect, still outstanding, is Gomez.
Gomez was earlier spotted near his residence on the 4600 block of Lomita. He drove away, then bailed out near La Brea and the 10. He ran onto the freeway then.
LAPD officers searched Gomez's residence Thursday in Mid-City after the carjacking.
westside, culver city, los angeles news, miriam hernandez
- Missing hiker rescued in Santa Clarita canyon 6 min ago
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait
- Lead found in soil at homes, school in Vernon
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- OTRC: Elisabeth Moss: Armisen marriage 'traumatic'
- LA launches campaign to shut illegal pot...
40 min ago