Los Angeles News
WeHo Gay Pride Festival 2012 begins
WEST HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- West Hollywood's 42nd annual Gay Pride Festival got underway Friday night, with preparations underway for the festival's big parade Sunday.
Hundreds of women took to the streets Friday night to recognize the ongoing fight for rights and the contributions of women in the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual Transgender community.
But despite their work, one woman felt there is much more left to do.
"Children, LGBTs, teenagers are still being bullied, they're afraid to go to school, they're parents are still kicking them out, so we have a lot to do," said marcher Rita Gonzalez.
The crosswalk at Santa Monica Boulevard and San Vicente Boulevard, the gateway to the pride festival is painted in multiple colors to show the diversity in the community.
Women also took center stage during a concert called the Purple Party. The weekend festival features dozens of performers and booths offering food and educational resources. But the highlight of the parade is Sunday's colorful parade on Santa Monica Boulevard, which saw more than 400,000 people last year.
The festival runs from noon to midnight Saturday before gearing up for the parade.
los angeles news, amy powell
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured 45 min ago
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona 26 min ago
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Rain, winds moving across Southern California
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- School hacking: Tutor wanted for questioning
- Rodman in NKorea to prep for basketball game
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- abcnews: Missing medical resident's car found
- Report finds bacteria on 97 percent of chicken 33 min ago
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Katie Couric's talk show to end this summer
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis
- Local mountains get fresh blanket of snow
58 min ago
- Jeremy Renner discusses future roles
48 min ago