Los Angeles News
WeHo Gay Pride Festival 2012 begins
WEST HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- West Hollywood's 42nd annual Gay Pride Festival got underway Friday night, with preparations underway for the festival's big parade Sunday.
Hundreds of women took to the streets Friday night to recognize the ongoing fight for rights and the contributions of women in the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual Transgender community.
But despite their work, one woman felt there is much more left to do.
"Children, LGBTs, teenagers are still being bullied, they're afraid to go to school, they're parents are still kicking them out, so we have a lot to do," said marcher Rita Gonzalez.
The crosswalk at Santa Monica Boulevard and San Vicente Boulevard, the gateway to the pride festival is painted in multiple colors to show the diversity in the community.
Women also took center stage during a concert called the Purple Party. The weekend festival features dozens of performers and booths offering food and educational resources. But the highlight of the parade is Sunday's colorful parade on Santa Monica Boulevard, which saw more than 400,000 people last year.
The festival runs from noon to midnight Saturday before gearing up for the parade.
los angeles news, amy powell
- 2 LB suspects accused of human trafficking
- Anaheim begins closing marijuana dispensaries
- Odor forces evacuation of Pasadena building
- Memorial Day: Gas prices aren't stopping drivers 19 min ago
- Palmdale boy dies after allegedly being tortured 56 min ago
- First section of new 405 Freeway lane opens
- LA attempted murder suspect caught in Colo.
- Truck in bridge collapse had permit to cross
- UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted; 2 arrested
- abcnews: New clues to 'frustrated' Boston suspect
- NASA wants astronauts on asteroid by 2021
- Amanda Bynes arrested in NYC on pot charge
- 'The Rock' returns for 'Fast & Furious 6'
- OTRC: Leonardo DiCaprio space trip nabs $1.5 mill