Los Angeles News
Explosion near downtown LA kills 1, injures 3
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A gas tank explosion south of downtown Los Angeles on Wednesday left one person dead and three others injured, authorities said. Authorities were investigating the circumstances surrounding the deadly blast.
The gas cylinder exploded in a building believed to be an auto parts shop about 6:30 p.m. The blast was in a largely vacant industrial zone about a mile northeast of the University of Southern California campus.
Ayman Eldik, the manager of a neighboring market, said the explosion felt like the whole building was going to come down. He said two women ran out the back door of the auto shop through a shared alleyway and banged on the back door of his market. He said they were distraught and injured.
"I heard girls screaming, 'Please help, help,'" he said. "I look to the girls, really bad. Blood everywhere."
The women and two other men, all believed to be in their early 20s, were transported to local hospitals. Two of them were in grave condition and one died at the hospital, officials said.
Authorities were tight lipped about the exact cause of the explosion or what triggered it, only saying there were cylinders involved.
"We have an idea what the cause was, it's still under investigation and we're working collaboratively with LAPD ," said Mario Rueda, deputy chief of the Los Angeles Fire Department.
Officials did not confirm if criminal activity took place. They described the scene inside as chaotic.
"The scene of the explosion looks ransacked, there's debris and materials all over the ground," Rueda said.
Officials said there was no fire and no hazard to neighboring businesses.
explosion, downtown, los angeles news, leslie miller
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect 11 min ago
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- Crates of mail found abandoned in Hollywood 56 min ago
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Pro-Russian insurgents ignore diplomatic deal
- Sub scours ocean for missing Malaysian jet
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)