Los Angeles News
Explosion near downtown LA kills 1, injures 3
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A gas tank explosion south of downtown Los Angeles on Wednesday left one person dead and three others injured, authorities said. Authorities were investigating the circumstances surrounding the deadly blast.
The gas cylinder exploded in a building believed to be an auto parts shop about 6:30 p.m. The blast was in a largely vacant industrial zone about a mile northeast of the University of Southern California campus.
Ayman Eldik, the manager of a neighboring market, said the explosion felt like the whole building was going to come down. He said two women ran out the back door of the auto shop through a shared alleyway and banged on the back door of his market. He said they were distraught and injured.
"I heard girls screaming, 'Please help, help,'" he said. "I look to the girls, really bad. Blood everywhere."
The women and two other men, all believed to be in their early 20s, were transported to local hospitals. Two of them were in grave condition and one died at the hospital, officials said.
Authorities were tight lipped about the exact cause of the explosion or what triggered it, only saying there were cylinders involved.
"We have an idea what the cause was, it's still under investigation and we're working collaboratively with LAPD ," said Mario Rueda, deputy chief of the Los Angeles Fire Department.
Officials did not confirm if criminal activity took place. They described the scene inside as chaotic.
"The scene of the explosion looks ransacked, there's debris and materials all over the ground," Rueda said.
Officials said there was no fire and no hazard to neighboring businesses.
explosion, downtown, los angeles news, leslie miller
- Torrance donut shop robbery: Suspect sought 4 min ago
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- abcnews: Service dog helps girl in surgery
- Harry Reid in the hospital for observation 21 min ago
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis