Los Angeles News
16 Long Beach street gang Baby Insane Crips members arrested
LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- Long Beach police cracked down on a violent street gang Baby Insane Crips, wanted for 13 shootings and at least one murder.
Sixteen members of the gang were taken into custody following a string of raids, Long Beach Police Chief Jim McDonnell announced at a news conference.
The arrests came after a long investigation that started with the murder of 19-year-old Frank Castro in November 2009. Police started piecing together the crimes through weapons and ballistic evidence.
After re-interviewing witnesses and victims, the investigation began to point to three series of shootings carried out by Baby Insane Crips members. Interviews with other gang members helped detectives identify a specific group within the gang who appeared to have been responsible for the majority of the crimes, police said.
Johnney Smith, 22, of Long Beach, who was already in custody for an unrelated armed robbery, has been charged with Castro's killing, police said.
Sabrille Acklin, 29, of San Bernardino, headed the Long Beach gang from his home in Rialto in San Bernardino County, according to police. He was booked for accessory to murder and commercial burglary.
Among top Acklin lieutenants taken into custody on various charges were Kendale Gipson, 27, of Long Beach; Donovon Halcomb, 23, of Perris; Durell Shell, 26, of Long Beach and Wynton White, 19, of Long Beach, police said.
Others charged for related crimes included Darwin Cordova, 18, of Long Beach; Hacking Wells, 21, of Long Beach; Deondre Whitfield, 22, of Long Beach; Wardell Wood, 22, of Long Beach; Jeffrey O'Brien, 23, of Long Beach; J.J. Adams, 24, of La Palma; Rachel Williams, 22, of Perris; Karessa Williams, 25, of Perris; Milton Harris, 25, of Long Beach and Nicholas Campbell, 19, of Long Beach, police said.
City News Service contributed to this report.
los angeles news
- NKorea deports captive American war veteran
- Covina home-invasion robbery: girl, dad shot
- Ex-detective arrested for tipping off gang
- Nelson Mandela's legacy honored around world
- 'Valley Bandit' wanted for 8 bank robberies
- Family settles over Chino school gun accident
- Suspected heist reported, 12 tons of pot found
- New Mexico cop fired after minivan shooting
- abcnews: Bill Clinton reveals insights from Mandela
- 6 detained in theft of radioactive material
- Smartphone apps for a better night's sleep
- Long Beach motorcycle show offers demo rides
- 'Out of the Furnace' showcases pacing, acting
- OTRC: Grammys 2014 - list of nominees