Los Angeles News
16 Long Beach street gang Baby Insane Crips members arrested
LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- Long Beach police cracked down on a violent street gang Baby Insane Crips, wanted for 13 shootings and at least one murder.
Sixteen members of the gang were taken into custody following a string of raids, Long Beach Police Chief Jim McDonnell announced at a news conference.
The arrests came after a long investigation that started with the murder of 19-year-old Frank Castro in November 2009. Police started piecing together the crimes through weapons and ballistic evidence.
After re-interviewing witnesses and victims, the investigation began to point to three series of shootings carried out by Baby Insane Crips members. Interviews with other gang members helped detectives identify a specific group within the gang who appeared to have been responsible for the majority of the crimes, police said.
Johnney Smith, 22, of Long Beach, who was already in custody for an unrelated armed robbery, has been charged with Castro's killing, police said.
Sabrille Acklin, 29, of San Bernardino, headed the Long Beach gang from his home in Rialto in San Bernardino County, according to police. He was booked for accessory to murder and commercial burglary.
Among top Acklin lieutenants taken into custody on various charges were Kendale Gipson, 27, of Long Beach; Donovon Halcomb, 23, of Perris; Durell Shell, 26, of Long Beach and Wynton White, 19, of Long Beach, police said.
Others charged for related crimes included Darwin Cordova, 18, of Long Beach; Hacking Wells, 21, of Long Beach; Deondre Whitfield, 22, of Long Beach; Wardell Wood, 22, of Long Beach; Jeffrey O'Brien, 23, of Long Beach; J.J. Adams, 24, of La Palma; Rachel Williams, 22, of Perris; Karessa Williams, 25, of Perris; Milton Harris, 25, of Long Beach and Nicholas Campbell, 19, of Long Beach, police said.
City News Service contributed to this report.
los angeles news
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal 46 min ago
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- Malaysia air force: Jet may have turned back
- Roommate arrested in Westmont homicide
- 39-year-old man found dead in Apple Valley 10 min ago
- LAPD crash: Funeral services announced
- Portion of 405 South to close for 2 nights
- 5 measles cases in Orange County confirmed
- 5-alarm fire burns at San Francisco building 56 min ago
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Keith Richards releasing children's book