Los Angeles News
Wild LA car chase ends with head-on crash
HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A suspected DUI driver crashed in Hollywood at the end of a high-speed police pursuit on Friday night.
Burbank police and California Highway Patrol officers were in pursuit of the suspect in the San Fernando Valley. The pursuit began shortly after 8 p.m. in Burbank.
The unidentified driver initially drove at posted speed limits. About 15 minutes into the chase, the driver began accelerating and reached speeds of about 120 mph, weaving in and out of traffic.
At 8:30 p.m., the suspect stopped on an overpass for less than two minutes, as at least five CHP units pulled up behind. He then drove off again.
The suspect passed North Hollywood and Valley Village and hit a highway divider and incapacitated the right-front wheel of the car. The suspect then drove onto surface streets into oncoming traffic in downtown Hollywood, where he struck two vehicles before coming to rest under an overpass. CHP officers arrested him several minutes later.
The pursuit was a horrifying conclusion to a Los Angeles vacation after a Miami family was hit head-on during the high-speed pursuit.
"I just remember swerving away from a car coming at me, and then I just rolled over," said driver Bryant Valencia. "And when everything stopped, I just remember looking over at my son hanging from his car seat upside down and my wife screaming hysterically."
Valencia's 3-year-old son was one of five people, including the suspect, who were taken to the hospital after the high-speed pursuit came to a violent end. No one was seriously injured in the crash. The suspect will likely face a long list of felony charges.
car chase, pursuit, dui, arrest, hollywood, burbank, california highway patrol, los angeles news, leanne suter
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Westlake High coach accused of sex with teen
- SKorea ferry accident: 10 more bodies pulled
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- Orange County carport collapses; no one hurt
- East Hollywood fire: Garage heavily damaged
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal
- Free admission offered to all national parks
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- 13th body pulled following Everest avalanche
- Documents detail another delayed GM recall
- Mickey Rooney buried at Hollywood Forever
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour