Los Angeles News
Rodney King 911 tapes shed light on death
RIALTO, Calif. (KABC) -- In a frantic 911 call early Sunday, Rodney King's fiancée repeatedly implored authorities to hurry to the Rialto home when she discovered him floating at the bottom of the swimming pool.
Audio from the 5-minute, 15-second 911 call was released by authorities Tuesday.
"He's not moving," Cynthia Kelley said, crying throughout the call. "I was sleeping, all of a sudden I heard something fall like the table and then I looked over and then I went to find him and he's at the bottom of the swimming pool. He's still there. Please hurry up."
The dispatcher asked Kelley if she was able to get into the pool to get King out, but she said she couldn't because she is not a good swimmer. She said she tried to "wake him up," including throwing a shovel into the water, but he wasn't responding.
The call ends with the arrival of police officers, who pulled King from the pool and began life-saving efforts. He was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead.
At one point, Kelley identified King to dispatchers as "the guy that got beat by the police." King became famous after his severe beating by Los Angeles police in 1991 was captured on videotape and broadcast worldwide.
Kelley was interviewed by police for several hours Sunday.
Police have said they have found no signs of foul play and continue to investigate King's case as an accidental drowning.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
famous death, los angeles news, rob mcmillan
- Memorial Day: More travelers hitting the road
- First section of new 405 Freeway lane opens 16 min ago
- Truck in bridge collapse had permit to cross
- Disneyland holding Monstrous 'All-Nighter' 27 min ago
- 405 North crash, fuel spill snarls traffic
- Fatal S. LA drive-by shooting suspects sought 16 min ago
- Deputies shoot, killed armed man in Compton
- LA attempted murder suspect caught in Colo. 36 min ago
- Covered California announces 13 health plans
- abcnews: New clues to 'frustrated' Boston suspect 9 min ago
- NASA wants astronauts on asteroid by 2021
- Kings beat Sharks 3-0, take series lead 3-2
- Amanda Bynes arrested in NYC on pot charge 4 min ago
- OTRC: 'Hangover 3,' 'Fast & Furious 6' film reviews
- 'Epic, 'Hangover 3,' 'Fast 6' in theaters
9 min ago