Los Angeles News
Road rage beating on freeway caught on video; CHP investigating
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A video posted online of a road-rage beating apparently taking place on a Los Angeles freeway in the middle of the day has gotten the attention of the California Highway Patrol.
The video begins when a car pulls up on a group of people arguing in the middle of a lane. It appears to be one man versus three with the downtown Los Angeles skyline in the background.
The group doesn't seem to notice when the person filming on their smartphone rolls down their window. It's clear the men are screaming at each other using profanity-laced language and challenging each other.
Two men raise their fists and begin swinging at each other. When it becomes two on one, it's no match. The lone man is pulled to the ground, dragged and kicked several times in the face. At one point he appears to be knocked out and is not shielding himself. He's left lying on the freeway as the other car pulls away.
Those filming pull over and get out of the car.
"You all right, bro? Get up. You can't get up? Get up man," says one person to the victim.
In an exclusive interview with Eyewitness News, a man who claims to be the victim said the two men were taunting him on the freeway, stopped traffic and got out of the their car and approached him.
That's when the man, who did not want his identity disclosed, said his military instincts kicked in. He said he suffered a concussion and doesn't remember most of what happened.
Skeptics are questioning whether the incident was staged. However, forensic video expert David Notowitz, who was working with the defense in analyzing the Kelly Thomas beating video, said the movement of this cellphone indicates the beating was not faked.
"There are reflections on the window of the car, all these things are real and indicate to me it's a fully legit video," Notowitz said.
The video has gone viral. In less than a day, it was viewed more than 100,000 times.
The CHP said it would hold a news conference at 7 a.m. Wednesday to discuss the incident.
caught on tape, fight, los angeles news, elex michaelson
- Body found in canyon ID'd as Maribel Ramos
- Brush fire scorches 575 acres in Castaic area
- Toddler, mom robbed by knife-wielding man
- Suspect killed inside Alhambra PD station
- Purse found in search for missing woman in IE
- Hacienda Heights soldier killed on 1st Iraq tour
- Greuel, Garcetti vie for last-minute votes
- Laguna Beach sexual assault suspect sought
- Calif. unemployment rate falls to 9 percent
- OJ Simpson knew buddies had guns - ex-lawyer
- Conn. commuter trains collide, 60 injured
- abcnews: Plane crash sole survivor breaks silence
- Michael Jackson death trial attorneys clash
- OTRC: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' movie review