Los Angeles News
2 new Metro Expo Line stations open: Culver City, Farmdale
CULVER CITY, Calif. (KABC) -- Two new Metro Expo Line stations opened to the public on Wednesday, one in Culver City and the other in Los Angeles, with a special offer for riders.
To celebrate the milestone, Metro will offer free rides to people boarding at both stops from noon to 9 p.m., and the riders will also receive free return passes.
The mayors of Los Angeles and Culver City joined together to mark the completion of the first phase of the new Expo Line. One station is located on Washington Boulevard, and the Farmdale Station is on Exposition Boulevard.
"Completion of Expo One will become part of a national trend pushing mass transit to the forefront here in America," said L.A. Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa during a dedication ceremony.
The line had its grand opening in April, but the Farmdale and Culver City stations weren't ready to run until now.
After six years of construction and $932 million, the 8.6-mile light rail, which runs from Culver City to downtown L.A., will serve USC, Exposition Park, Mid-City communities, the Crenshaw District and Culver City.
"The Westside in general has a tremendous congestion problem. This is one way to help alleviate that congestion," said Culver City Mayor Andy Weissman.
In May, more than 320,000 passengers boarded the new line, but officials believe the ridership will really spike, bringing the most traffic relief to the 10 Freeway once phase two is complete.
For phase two, there will be a 6.6-mile extension into Santa Monica, connecting Culver City and downtown to Santa Monica. It will cost $1.5 billion and will be funded by Measure R, the half-cent sales tax initiative that voters approved in 2008.
culver city, los angeles news, christina salvo
- LAPD Officer Lee honored at funeral service
- 2 dead after car plows through SXSW crowd
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search 7 min ago
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting
- Inmate escapes jail hours after sentencing
- Ex-assemblyman arrested for domestic violence
- Flasher sought for exposing self at Brea Mall 38 min ago
- Ex-Manson follower granted parole for 3rd time
- Man in Fla. theater shooting also was texting 32 min ago
- Plane sent satellite signal for hrs -official 19 min ago
- abcnews: Amazon accused of cheating on free shipping
- Soldier pops out of box, surprises daughter
- Elderly couple's dog saved by rescue group
- OTRC: Elizabeth Olsen engaged, report says