Los Angeles News
Bryan Stow lawsuit: Attorneys seek $50 million for medical costs, pain and suffering
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Attorneys for a San Francisco Giants fan who was severely beaten on opening day last year at Dodger Stadium want $50 million for his future medical costs as well as pain and suffering.
Bryan Stow's family sued former Dodgers owner Frank McCourt and 13 team entities on May 24 after Stow was attacked in the stadium parking lot on March 31, 2011.
Among the claims are assault, battery, negligence, premises liability, negligent hiring, assault and both intentional and negligent infliction of emotional distress.
Stow's attorneys say he suffered brain damage and is now permanently disabled.
Stow has racked up $4.3 million in medical bills so far and will need more than $50 million.
The trial of the lawsuit is expected to last about a week, according to Stow's attorneys. A trial-setting conference is scheduled for June 29.
On June 8, Louie Sanchez and Marvin Norwood were ordered to stand trial for the beating.
Los Angeles Superior Court Judge George Lomeli found sufficient evidence to require Sanchez, 30, and Norwood, 31, both of Rialto, to proceed to trial on one felony count each of mayhem, assault by means likely to produce great bodily injury and battery with serious bodily injury.
The judge also found enough evidence involving an allegation that Sanchez had personally inflicted great bodily injury against Stow, then 42, but ruled there was insufficient evidence that Norwood had.
Both men remain jailed and are due back at the downtown Los Angeles courthouse for arraignment Friday.
City News Service contributed to this report.
legal, los angeles news
- Blustering winds, low temps hitting Southland
- Man who allegedly pranked coaches arrested
- Spaccia convicted in Bell corruption trial
- 18 indicted in LA Sheriff's Dept abuse probe 18 min ago
- Houseguest arrested after 80-year-old's death
- OCTA votes against 405 Freeway toll lanes
- Glendale man gets 5 yrs in 'sextortion' case
- Ex-SD Mayor Filner sentenced for harassment
- Storm snarls travel; power outages persist
- abcnews: Senate extends ban on plastic guns 45 min ago
- New cockroach found in NYC can withstand cold
- 6 finalists announced for 2013 Heisman trophy
- 'Saving Mr. Banks' tells 'Poppins' back story
- OTRC: Meredith Baxter weds partner Nancy Locke