Los Angeles News
Bryan Stow lawsuit: Attorneys seek $50 million for medical costs, pain and suffering
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Attorneys for a San Francisco Giants fan who was severely beaten on opening day last year at Dodger Stadium want $50 million for his future medical costs as well as pain and suffering.
Bryan Stow's family sued former Dodgers owner Frank McCourt and 13 team entities on May 24 after Stow was attacked in the stadium parking lot on March 31, 2011.
Among the claims are assault, battery, negligence, premises liability, negligent hiring, assault and both intentional and negligent infliction of emotional distress.
Stow's attorneys say he suffered brain damage and is now permanently disabled.
Stow has racked up $4.3 million in medical bills so far and will need more than $50 million.
The trial of the lawsuit is expected to last about a week, according to Stow's attorneys. A trial-setting conference is scheduled for June 29.
On June 8, Louie Sanchez and Marvin Norwood were ordered to stand trial for the beating.
Los Angeles Superior Court Judge George Lomeli found sufficient evidence to require Sanchez, 30, and Norwood, 31, both of Rialto, to proceed to trial on one felony count each of mayhem, assault by means likely to produce great bodily injury and battery with serious bodily injury.
The judge also found enough evidence involving an allegation that Sanchez had personally inflicted great bodily injury against Stow, then 42, but ruled there was insufficient evidence that Norwood had.
Both men remain jailed and are due back at the downtown Los Angeles courthouse for arraignment Friday.
City News Service contributed to this report.
legal, los angeles news
- 2 LB suspects accused of human trafficking
- Anaheim begins closing marijuana dispensaries
- Odor forces evacuation of Pasadena building
- Memorial Day: Gas prices aren't stopping drivers
- Palmdale boy dies after allegedly being tortured
- Are bridges in Southern California safe?
- LA attempted murder suspect caught in Colo.
- Committee approves dental care to Medi-Cal
- Truck in bridge collapse had permit to cross
- UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted; 2 arrested
- abcnews: New clues to 'frustrated' Boston suspect
- New flu vaccine made from tobacco plant in works
- 'The Rock' returns for 'Fast & Furious 6'
- OTRC: Leonardo DiCaprio space trip nabs $1.5 mill