Los Angeles News
Cheryl Green murder: co-defendant sentenced to 238 years
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A Superior Court judge sentenced a convicted killer to more than 200 years in prison for a racially motivated shooting that killed a 14-year-old girl in 2006. The suspect did not pull the trigger.
Ernesto Alcarez, 25, showed no remorse as he listened to the judge sentence him to 238 years to life in prison for the murder of Cheryl Green. Green, 14, was standing with a group of neighborhood kids in the Harbor Gateway area when she was fatally shot in December 2006.
Alcarez, a known gang member, was convicted of one count of second-degree murder for the killing of Green, and seven counts of attempted murder for the others who were with Green that day.
Judge Stephen Marcus called Alcarez a minor player in the crime, adding the racially motivated shooting was an attempt to send a message.
"He was trying to create fear in the neighborhood and do a racial crime by shooting at as many people as possible so as to create this impact in the neighborhood that 'Our gang is the toughest, baddest gang,'" said Judge Stephen Marcus.
Last year, Alcarez's co-defendant, Jonathan Fajardo, was convicted of first-degree murder and sentenced to death for Green's murder.
Thursday the judge asked Alcarez if he wanted to say anything on his own behalf. Alcarez said no.
"You'll have a lot of time to think about the victims, and especially the most significant victim in this case, Cheryl Green, who lost her life at an age when most people, most children, most teenagers are looking forward to life. It really is a terrible crime."
south los angeles, south gate, homicide investigation, murder, sentencing, legal, los angeles news, sid garcia
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- School hacking: Tutor wanted for questioning
- Rodman in NKorea to prep for basketball game
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- abcnews: Missing medical resident's car found
- Report finds bacteria on 97 percent of chicken
- Local woman receives seizure-treating implant 16 min ago
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis