Los Angeles News
Dr. Lisa Tseng prescribes meds to undercover agent - caught on tape
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Video from an undercover Drug Enforcement Administration agent shows an inside look at the office of a doctor who allegedly dispensed meds recklessly and in massive quantities.
In the video, the agent poses as a patient to find out what it will take to obtain a prescription from Rowland Heights osteopath, Dr. Lisa Tseng.
He vaguely described an old wrist injury and asked for Oxycontin -- a powerful painkiller. Tseng, who had settled five wrongful death suits by the time the video was taken, balked at the agent's story.
"I don't even see a scar on your wrist," she said in the video. Yet within six minutes, Tseng ended up writing a prescription.
"I am only going to write you a 10 day supply, and I don't want to see you within 10 days, okay?" she told the agent.
The DEA agent was able to walk out -- not with a prescription for Oxycontin, but for Vicodin and Xanax, which are two lesser painkillers, but none medically necessary.
Tseng faces 19 felony charges for allegedly prescribing meds for no medical purpose and three counts of second-degree murder after three more of her patients died. Prosecutors said such serious charges are justified after Tseng allegedly failed to perform basic exams, order x-rays or send patients to specialists.
In her preliminary hearing, investigators described her office as a disaster zone where controlled drugs were left unlocked, allowing for patient access. Files were also mixed with boxes of junk mail. Investigators said Tseng was unable to produce certain files either because she lost them or she failed to record patient information.
fraud, legal, health care, los angeles news, miriam hernandez
- 3 charged in bizarre East LA '12 bank robbery 18 min ago
- Tornadoes strike Midwest; storms to persist 34 min ago
- Greuel, Garcetti make final stops across LA
- UC hospital workers to strike over higher pay 17 min ago
- Man's body found in vacant apartment in IE
- Man shot, killed in Victorville; 1 arrested
- Deputies gun down armed man during fight
- Hollywood High honored for musical theater
- Girl, 10, fatally shot inside NorCal home
- abcnews: Hofstra student killed in police standoff
- 2 killed in Turkey hot air balloon crash
- United's 787 Dreamliners back in service
- Taylor Swift wins big at Billboard Awards
- Photos: Best moments at Billboard Awards 2013