Los Angeles News
Westchester apartment shooting kills 1, injures 2
WESTCHESTER, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A shooting at a Westchester apartment complex killed one man and left two in the hospital Thursday night, and police are hunting for the gunman.
It was a bloody scene at the Alessio Apartments on Centinela Avenue near Jefferson Boulevard.
Police say there was some sort of an argument that started inside one of the buildings in the complex before three men were shot.
"The officers saw three people that appeared to have been shot on the sidewalk that runs through the middle of the apartment complex. One of those individuals was pronounced dead at the scene by the fire department," said Los Angeles Police Capt. John Peters.
Officers swarmed the large complex searching for suspects and interviewing residents. They recovered a handgun from a trash bin, but believed the gunman escaped.
"There was a witness that provided some information early on that a potential outstanding suspect was seen fleeing in a white SUV," said Peters.
Residents were shaken by the deadly shooting.
"I went out on my balcony, looked up first, saw the helicopter looked down, straight down -- body laying on the pavement right below my window. I hope I can get that image out of my mind," said Jeanne Batey.
Batey said she heard what she initially thought was someone banging on a wall and people running down a hallway.
"It was like maybe 15 to 20 shots. I guess that's what they were, and it's people running, somebody was running," she said.
Two men remained in the hospital Thursday night as a result of the shooting. One is listed in critical condition, the other is stable.
shooting, los angeles news, amy powell
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Driver shot, injured on 14 Fwy in Palmdale
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Big Sur wildfire is now fully contained
- BART, labor union leaders reach new deal
- NJ mall carjacking, shooting: 4 men arrested
- US holiday travelers brace for foul weather
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- Beyonce surprises fans at Mass. Wal-Mart
- OTRC: 13 Best TV Shows of 2013 (with spoilers)