Los Angeles News
Bryan Stow attack: Louie Sanchez, Marvin Norwood plead not guilty
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Two men pleaded not guilty on Friday to charges stemming from the beating of San Francisco Giants fan Bryan Stow.
Stow suffered brain damage as a result of the attack on opening day last year in the parking lot of the Dodger Stadium.
Los Angeles Superior Court Judge George G. Lomeli had ordered Louie Sanchez and Marvin Norwood to stand trial on June 8. Both face felony charges of mayhem, assault by means likely to produce great bodily injury and battery with serious bodily injury.
Sanchez is also accused of an enhancement alleging he caused great bodily injury to Stow, but the judge dropped the accusation against Norwood.
"Mr. Norwood started out as being the ultimate peacemaker in this matter, I think that things got out of hand, he (Sanchez) probably lost control, Mr. Sanchez, but it remains that ultimately, he (Norwood) took part, maybe less culpable, in the actual attack," said Lomeli.
Sanchez and Norwood will appear in court on July 24 for a pre-trial hearing.
Lomeli approved the appointment of a public defender to represent Sanchez.
According to the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office, Norwood faces nine years in prison if convicted and Louie Sanchez faces 11 years. If Stow were to die at any point in time as a direct result of the injuries from the beating, the two men could be charged with second-degree murder.
City News Service contributed to this report.
fight, court case, los angeles dodgers, san francisco giants, los angeles news
- Glendora yard dug up in 35-year-old cold case 58 min ago
- OC sheriff's reserve sergeant found beaten 49 min ago
- UK attack driven by radical Islam - officials
- Model murder trial: Case in hands of jury
- Bill proposed to reduce night airport noise
- Los Angeles mayoral race: Eric Garcetti wins
- Injured volunteer wants thousands from hiker
- Okla. tornado tore through 13,000 buildings
- abcnews: US IDs 4 Americans killed by drones
- Arias jury stuck but must keep deliberating
- Curious about caviar? Class available in WeHo
- Virgin tops, Spirit flops in airline survey
- OTRC: Critics' Choice Television Awards nominees
- Tornado relief drives: More than $211K raised