Los Angeles News
'Meatball' the bear returns to foothill area
LA CRESCENTA, LOS ANGELES COUNTY (KABC) -- The 400-pound black bear that was taken deep into the Angeles National Forest last month has been spotted once again in the Glendale-La Crescenta area.
Neighbors and California Department of Fish and Game officials said they believe this is the same bear they found snacking on garbage in the neighborhood in May.
La Crescenta resident Kelly MacDonald spotted 'Meatball' on Sunday. He was given the name for once eating meatballs stored in a refrigerator in a garage.
MacDonald says she noticed the bear's tag, No. 210. That's the number he was given by authorities last month when he was tranquilized and taken about 25 miles into the forest.
Andrew Hughan of the California Department of Fish and Game said they were not planning on going after the bear again. Hughan said residents should do their part.
"It's important that the folks there keep their trash picked up," he said.
animal news, los angeles news, amy powell
- Tornadoes strike Midwest; storms to persist 46 min ago
- Greuel, Garcetti make final stops across LA 6 min ago
- UC hospital workers to strike over higher pay
- Deputies gun down armed man during fight
- Man's body found in vacant apartment in IE
- Man shot, killed in Victorville; 1 arrested
- Hollywood High honored for musical theatre 54 min ago
- Girl, 10, fatally shot inside NorCal home 11 min ago
- 2 FBI agents killed in Va. training accident
- 6.5-mag quake hits coast of Chile; No tsunami
- abcnews: Hofstra student killed in police standoff
- Yahoo buys Tumblr in $1.1 billion deal
- Taylor Swift wins big at Billboard Awards
- Photos: Selena Gomez stuns at Billboard Awards 20 min ago