Los Angeles News
Parras Middle School band teacher dismissed; community outraged
REDONDO BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- There's outrage over the dismissal of a beloved band teacher in Redondo Beach.
Dozens of people gathered at the school board meeting Tuesday night in support of Scott Sutherland, who taught at Parras Middle School. Members of the band played outside, while inside parents voiced their concerns.
They believe Sutherland was forced to resign and are demanding the school board reinstate him.
"When a teacher does something good for your program, you would think that you would want them to stay," said student Shane Conley. "The reasons he got fired have nothing to do with his teaching skill. If the students want him here, then he should be here."
The Redondo Beach Unified School District said that while they appreciate the way students and parents presented their concerns, they cannot comment on a personnel issue.
los angeles news
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions
- North Korea purges Kim Jong Un's uncle
- Holiday shipping deadlines quickly approaching
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana
- Cyclist killed in crash w/ sheriff patrol car
- Small plane lands on 241 toll road in OC
- IE shooting leaves 18-year-old man dead
- Icy storm persists, disrupts travel in east US
- abcnews: Campus cop fatally shoots Texas student
- Man wakes up locked inside dark empty plane
- American Airlines, US Airways merger complete 30 min ago
- Torre, La Russa, Cox elected to Hall of Fame
- Car rally held in honor of actor Paul Walker
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
8 min ago