Los Angeles News
Parras Middle School band teacher dismissed; community outraged
REDONDO BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- There's outrage over the dismissal of a beloved band teacher in Redondo Beach.
Dozens of people gathered at the school board meeting Tuesday night in support of Scott Sutherland, who taught at Parras Middle School. Members of the band played outside, while inside parents voiced their concerns.
They believe Sutherland was forced to resign and are demanding the school board reinstate him.
"When a teacher does something good for your program, you would think that you would want them to stay," said student Shane Conley. "The reasons he got fired have nothing to do with his teaching skill. If the students want him here, then he should be here."
The Redondo Beach Unified School District said that while they appreciate the way students and parents presented their concerns, they cannot comment on a personnel issue.
los angeles news
- Video released in attack of transgender woman
- Prostitution bust at OC hotel - exclusive
- MTA bus drivers claim illness from pesticide
- LA plastic-bag ban tentatively approved 37 min ago
- Torrance man sues over Dorner police shooting
- Cash in paper bag stolen in Altadena robbery
- Zuma Beach bus line launched from Thousand Oaks
- Michael Hastings, BuzzFeed reporter, dies
- 1,500 evacuated in wildfire near Yosemite
- NSA foiled 50+ terrorist plots - director
- abcnews: NFL star's home searched after killing
- Heat beat Spurs 103-100, force Game 7
- Michael Jackson's personal chef testifies
- OTRC: Lil Wayne talks on American flag controversy
- 13-year-old leads wild police chase in Iowa
49 min ago
- Nathan Fillion spending summer on big screen
56 min ago