Los Angeles News
Boyle Heights car-to-car shooting kills man
BOYLE HEIGHTS, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A driver was killed in a car-to-car shooting in Boyle Heights early Friday morning, police said.
Joe Lobos, 24, was gunned down just before 1 a.m. at the corner of Olympic Boulevard and Dacotah Street. He was struck several times in the upper body and died at the scene.
Family members said Lobos was driving home from his job at a Shell gas station in Burbank at the time of the shooting. He was less than 100 feet away from the apartment he shared with his fiancée and her child.
When officers arrived at the scene, they found Lobos slumped over in the Chevrolet Cavalier he was driving. Homicide detectives believe Lobos was heading east on Olympic Boulevard when someone opened fire from a dark-colored SUV.
Investigators said they are following up on several leads, including talking to the ex-boyfriend of Lobos' fiancée.
"We are not calling him a suspect or anything like that, but we want to talk to him because his name was mentioned," said Capt. Victor Marin of the Los Angeles Police Department.
Family members said Lobos was released from prison about six months ago. He was convicted of second-degree robbery, according to the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation. Those close to Lobos said he recently turned his life around.
"Joe was a great guy, very family-oriented. He was great to our daughter, a good father and just a hard worker. He had turned his life around. Of all times, this was not expected and definitely not deserved," said family friend Lisa Gonzalez.
Authorities said as of right now the shooting does not appear to be gang-related. Lobos' friends and family members are urging whoever is responsible to turn themselves in.
"Do what's right. You know what's right in your heart," said Gonzalez.
Anyone with information was asked to call the Los Angeles Police Department at (877) LAPD-24-7.
shooting, los angeles news, jovana lara
- Oklahoma tornado: 20 children among 51 killed
- Undersheriff Tanaka speaks out against Baca
- Garcetti, Greuel make final stops across LA
- 'DWTS': Zendaya holds lead in final four
- LAPD officer accused of lewd acts w/ 2 girls
- 3 charged in bizarre East LA '12 bank robbery
- Video: Pit bull owners rally against discrimination
- Girl escapes brazen kidnap attempt in OC
- UC hospital workers to strike over higher pay
- NKorea on day 3 of short-range weapon launches
- abcnews: Apple CEO defends offshore tax policy 10 min ago
- Experts warn about testosterone supplements
- Ray Manzarek, The Doors founder, dies at 74
- OTRC: 'Dancing With The Stars' recap - week 10
- Coyotes search for water in IE communities
43 min ago