Los Angeles News
Metro's Orange Line extension set to open
CHATSWORTH, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The Orange Line busway from Canoga to Chatsworth opens to the public Saturday. The extension completes the existing line and provides a key transfer point for Metrolink and Amtrak riders.
The opening wasn't supposed to happen for another three and a half years. The 4-mile Orange Line extension from Canoga Park to Chatsworth was not only finished early, but it came in under budget by nearly $62 million.
The Orange Line connection connects the west San Fernando Valley to the Red Line subway in North Hollywood 18 miles away.
The original price to complete the project was $215.6 million. The actual cost to complete was $154 million. The money saved will go toward future transportation projects.
City officials and the media had a chance to preview the extension on Friday before it opens to the public on Saturday.
Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa attended the ribbon-cutting ceremony at the Sherman Way Station on Canoga Avenue.
According to Metro, with the extension, weekday ridership for the Orange Line will exceed 27,000 passengers.
Measure R, the voter-approved initiative that raised the sales tax in Los Angeles County 1 cent paid for the project.
Free rides will be offered from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
antonio villaraigosa, los angeles news, sid garcia
- DTLA police search: armed, dangerous suspect 13 min ago
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies 25 min ago
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- Police: 2 South LA fires may be connected
- Child molestation charges for teacher dropped
- Suspicious package found at post office near USC
- Female pedestrian struck, killed in Riverside
- LAX Terminal 7 partially evacuated over threat
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution 5 min ago
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Toddler found playing inside toy claw machine
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- OTRC: Will Arnett files for divorce from Poehler