Los Angeles News
Metro's Orange Line extension set to open
CHATSWORTH, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The Orange Line busway from Canoga to Chatsworth opens to the public Saturday. The extension completes the existing line and provides a key transfer point for Metrolink and Amtrak riders.
The opening wasn't supposed to happen for another three and a half years. The 4-mile Orange Line extension from Canoga Park to Chatsworth was not only finished early, but it came in under budget by nearly $62 million.
The Orange Line connection connects the west San Fernando Valley to the Red Line subway in North Hollywood 18 miles away.
The original price to complete the project was $215.6 million. The actual cost to complete was $154 million. The money saved will go toward future transportation projects.
City officials and the media had a chance to preview the extension on Friday before it opens to the public on Saturday.
Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa attended the ribbon-cutting ceremony at the Sherman Way Station on Canoga Avenue.
According to Metro, with the extension, weekday ridership for the Orange Line will exceed 27,000 passengers.
Measure R, the voter-approved initiative that raised the sales tax in Los Angeles County 1 cent paid for the project.
Free rides will be offered from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
antonio villaraigosa, los angeles news, sid garcia
- London attack victim was a serving soldier
- Glendora yard dug up in 35-year-old cold case
- Oklahoma tornado victims' names released
- Bear cub breaks into a kitchen in Duarte
- Local police officer accused of child molest
- Van Nuys stabbing victim's family speaks out 3 min ago
- OC sheriff's reserve sergeant found beaten
- UC hospital workers' strike ends after 2 days
- abcnews: New Susan Powell video released
- Teen birth rate: Nearly all states see drop
- Charles Ramsey promised free burgers for life 56 min ago
- 'Hangover' films changed lives of the stars
- OTRC: Jennifer Aniston plays stripper in 'Millers'
- Tornado relief drives: More than $211K raised
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
1 min ago