Los Angeles News
Metro's Orange Line extension set to open
CHATSWORTH, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The Orange Line busway from Canoga to Chatsworth opens to the public Saturday. The extension completes the existing line and provides a key transfer point for Metrolink and Amtrak riders.
The opening wasn't supposed to happen for another three and a half years. The 4-mile Orange Line extension from Canoga Park to Chatsworth was not only finished early, but it came in under budget by nearly $62 million.
The Orange Line connection connects the west San Fernando Valley to the Red Line subway in North Hollywood 18 miles away.
The original price to complete the project was $215.6 million. The actual cost to complete was $154 million. The money saved will go toward future transportation projects.
City officials and the media had a chance to preview the extension on Friday before it opens to the public on Saturday.
Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa attended the ribbon-cutting ceremony at the Sherman Way Station on Canoga Avenue.
According to Metro, with the extension, weekday ridership for the Orange Line will exceed 27,000 passengers.
Measure R, the voter-approved initiative that raised the sales tax in Los Angeles County 1 cent paid for the project.
Free rides will be offered from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
antonio villaraigosa, los angeles news, sid garcia
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony 46 min ago
- abcnews: Dog helps Army vet overcome PTSD
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- OTRC: Stacy Keibler weds boyfriend Jared Pobre 37 min ago