Los Angeles News
USC warns of credit card security breach on campus
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Students and staff at USC are being advised to check their credit card statements for unauthorized charges after a security breach was discovered at some campus food outlets, including dining halls and a Starbucks.
A letter was posted on the university's website Thursday detailing the recently identified security breach affecting credit card purchases made at food outlets on the USC University Park and Health Sciences campuses.
"Credit card numbers were obtained illegally through a breach in a third-party software system used to process credit card transactions in some USC dining halls," Dan Stimmler, associate senior vice president at USC Auxiliary Services said in the letter.
The credit card numbers were obtained illegally between May 21 and June 21 and possibly earlier than that.
Locations included in the breach were Ronald Tutor Campus Center, Seeds, the Lab on Figueroa Street and Starbucks on the Health Sciences campus.
However, no personally identifiable information was compromised.
The Los Angeles Police Department and USC's Department of Public Safety was investigating.
usc, fraud, los angeles news
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape 22 min ago
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico 14 min ago
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- Crates of mail found abandoned in Hollywood
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- Good Friday: Pope remembers those who suffer 35 min ago
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Sub scours ocean for missing Malaysian jet
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)
- Lighting up historic Broadway Theatre...
41 min ago
- Los Angeles Mission serves Good Friday meals
3 min ago