Los Angeles News
USC warns of credit card security breach on campus
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Students and staff at USC are being advised to check their credit card statements for unauthorized charges after a security breach was discovered at some campus food outlets, including dining halls and a Starbucks.
A letter was posted on the university's website Thursday detailing the recently identified security breach affecting credit card purchases made at food outlets on the USC University Park and Health Sciences campuses.
"Credit card numbers were obtained illegally through a breach in a third-party software system used to process credit card transactions in some USC dining halls," Dan Stimmler, associate senior vice president at USC Auxiliary Services said in the letter.
The credit card numbers were obtained illegally between May 21 and June 21 and possibly earlier than that.
Locations included in the breach were Ronald Tutor Campus Center, Seeds, the Lab on Figueroa Street and Starbucks on the Health Sciences campus.
However, no personally identifiable information was compromised.
The Los Angeles Police Department and USC's Department of Public Safety was investigating.
usc, fraud, los angeles news
- Nelson Mandela dies in South Africa at age 95
- IE domestic-violence murder suspect at large
- Girl killed while walking in IE crosswalk
- Los Angeles Co. social workers go on strike
- Montebello remains are not human - coroner
- IE basketball coach accused of sexual misconduct
- Cold snap moving across Southern California 51 min ago
- UCSB meningitis: Student's legs amputated
- US teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi
- abcnews: Teen saved after swallowing magnets
- 2015 Ford Mustang still has plenty of muscle 42 min ago
- Over 2 million Internet accounts hacked
- Oscar Isaac can relate to 'Llewyn Davis'
- OTRC: Keri Russell, husband Shane Deary separate
- Cool Kid raises money for children's hospital
11 min ago
- Latest weather with Dallas Raines
54 min ago