Los Angeles News
Rodney King remembered at funeral as forgiving, kind
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Family and friends of Rodney King reflected on his life and legacy at his funeral Saturday.
King, who became famous after his videotaped beating by Los Angeles police in 1991, was remembered as a forgiving man who bore the scars of his infamous beating with dignity.
"People should not be judged by the mistakes that they make, but by how they rise above them," said Rev. Al Sharpton, who delivered the eulogy at Forest Lawn Hollywood Hills. "Rodney had risen above his mistakes. He never mocked anyone - not the police, not the justice system, not anyone."
King's daughter, 28-year-old Laura Dene King, said she was proud to have had her father in her life for as long as she did, particularly because she could have lost him at age 6.
"I will remember his smile, his unconditional love," she said.
The funeral came nearly two weeks after King was found dead at the bottom of the swimming pool at his Rialto home on June 17. He was 47.
Several donors helped pay for the funeral, the reception afterwards, and other arrangements. TV producer Anthony Zuiker donated $10,000, and said he was at the funeral to show support for King's family.
"We lost a symbol, but they lost a loved one," said Zuiker, creator of the CSI: series.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
famous death, los angeles news
- LA earthquake: 4.4-mag. quake shakes SoCal 10 min ago
- IE teen gets 18 months in 'sextortion' plot 40 min ago
- Body found at Anaheim trash center identified
- Crimea declares independence; West hits back
- Burbank couple rescues child with mattress
- Video: Stranded man rescued from Castaic crash
- Man high on meth terrorizes Covina family
- Newport Beach Little League suspension lifted
- Some CA cities seek water independence
- Malaysian plane search expands further
- abcnews: Woman says Scientology tore apart her family
- SEALs take oil tanker from Libyan rebels
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios for $32 million
- OTRC: 'The Walking Dead' recap: Season 4, ep 14