Los Angeles News
Rodney King remembered at funeral as forgiving, kind
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Family and friends of Rodney King reflected on his life and legacy at his funeral Saturday.
King, who became famous after his videotaped beating by Los Angeles police in 1991, was remembered as a forgiving man who bore the scars of his infamous beating with dignity.
"People should not be judged by the mistakes that they make, but by how they rise above them," said Rev. Al Sharpton, who delivered the eulogy at Forest Lawn Hollywood Hills. "Rodney had risen above his mistakes. He never mocked anyone - not the police, not the justice system, not anyone."
King's daughter, 28-year-old Laura Dene King, said she was proud to have had her father in her life for as long as she did, particularly because she could have lost him at age 6.
"I will remember his smile, his unconditional love," she said.
The funeral came nearly two weeks after King was found dead at the bottom of the swimming pool at his Rialto home on June 17. He was 47.
Several donors helped pay for the funeral, the reception afterwards, and other arrangements. TV producer Anthony Zuiker donated $10,000, and said he was at the funeral to show support for King's family.
"We lost a symbol, but they lost a loved one," said Zuiker, creator of the CSI: series.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
famous death, los angeles news
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape 21 min ago
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico 13 min ago
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- Crates of mail found abandoned in Hollywood
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- Good Friday: Pope remembers those who suffer 34 min ago
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Sub scours ocean for missing Malaysian jet
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)
- Lighting up historic Broadway Theatre...
40 min ago
- Los Angeles Mission serves Good Friday meals
2 min ago