Los Angeles News
Wrongful death lawsuit dismissed in boy's fatal fall at Staples Center
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A judge has dismissed the wrongful death lawsuit filed by the parents of a toddler who plunged to his death at Staples Center after a Los Angeles Lakers game in 2010.
Lucas Tang, 2, fell from a luxury suite after his mother propped him up on a beverage bar. In her deposition, the mother testified she placed him up there to take his picture.
Judge Susan Bryant-Deason ruled that Staples Center management could not have foreseen the mother putting the boy in what the judge called an "obviously dangerous situation."
Michael Roth, a spokesperson for Staples Center's owner AEG, released a statement, saying, "We remain deeply saddened by the tragic death of Lucas Tang and we continue to extend our sympathies to his family. As the court's ruling makes clear, Staples Center did not cause this accident. The court found that plaintiffs failed to demonstrate that anything Staples Center did or did not do caused Lucas' fall. The court's ruling in favor of Staples Center, which was made after careful review of all evidence, is well-reasoned and supported by all facts presented by the parties as well as applicable law."
Lawyers for Lucas' family expressed disappointment in the decision and vowed to appeal.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
downtown, los angeles lakers, los angeles news
- LA gang activity coordinated from Kansas home 36 min ago
- I-5 bridge collapses in Wash.; 3 injured
- Boy Scouts vote to accept openly gay boys
- Palmdale boy allegedly tortured; 2 in custody
- LB regulates loud mufflers w/ electronic sign
- Prize-winning bulldogs stolen from IE home
- 5.7-magnitude earthquake strikes NorCal city
- Covered California announces 13 health plans
- Jodi Arias sentencing: Judge declares mistrial
- abcnews: NY man rescued after month of alleged torture
- London attack investigation: 2 more arrests
- Consumer Reports tests summertime sunscreens
- Katherine Jackson cries, leaves courtroom
- OTRC: Jennifer Aniston plays stripper in 'Millers'
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
4 min ago