Los Angeles News
LAUSD to start school year Aug. 14, three weeks earlier than usual
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The end of summer will come sooner this year for students in the Los Angeles Unified School District.
The 2012-2013 school year begins Aug. 14, three weeks earlier than usual. The so-called "early start calendar" allows students to complete their first semester before winter break.
Superintendent John Deasy said that's been shown to have a positive impact on final examinations and grades.
The new calendar also means an earlier start to the summer next year. Students will get out of school June 4.
lausd, los angeles news
- Authorities investigate body found in Laguna Hills 41 min ago
- Man burned in fire at Long Beach VA Hospital 36 min ago
- Woman attacked at OC mall parking structure
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Canoga Park 13 min ago
- 12 arrested, $2.5M in drugs seized in sting
- 3 Simi Valley schools face possible shutdown
- Ex-deputy convicted in fatal bar shooting
- House easily approves bipartisan budget bill
- abcnews: Newtown priest speaks out on shooting
- NKorea executes leader's uncle as a traitor
- IKEA recalls lamp following death of child
- Giant lobster caught in Huntington Beach
- Redmond O'Neal testifies in Fawcett art case
- OTRC: Disney Channel film to feature Belle's son