Los Angeles News
LAUSD to start school year Aug. 14, three weeks earlier than usual
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The end of summer will come sooner this year for students in the Los Angeles Unified School District.
The 2012-2013 school year begins Aug. 14, three weeks earlier than usual. The so-called "early start calendar" allows students to complete their first semester before winter break.
Superintendent John Deasy said that's been shown to have a positive impact on final examinations and grades.
The new calendar also means an earlier start to the summer next year. Students will get out of school June 4.
lausd, los angeles news
- LA gang activity coordinated from Kansas home 1 min ago
- I-5 bridge collapses in Wash.; 3 injured
- Boy Scouts vote to accept openly gay boys
- Palmdale boy allegedly tortured; 2 in custody
- LB regulates loud mufflers w/ electronic sign
- Prize-winning bulldogs stolen from IE home
- 5.7-magnitude earthquake strikes NorCal city
- Covered California announces 13 health plans
- Jodi Arias sentencing: Judge declares mistrial
- abcnews: NY man rescued after month of alleged torture
- London attack investigation: 2 more arrests
- Consumer Reports tests summertime sunscreens
- Katherine Jackson cries, leaves courtroom
- OTRC: Jennifer Aniston plays stripper in 'Millers'