Los Angeles News
LAUSD to start school year Aug. 14, three weeks earlier than usual
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The end of summer will come sooner this year for students in the Los Angeles Unified School District.
The 2012-2013 school year begins Aug. 14, three weeks earlier than usual. The so-called "early start calendar" allows students to complete their first semester before winter break.
Superintendent John Deasy said that's been shown to have a positive impact on final examinations and grades.
The new calendar also means an earlier start to the summer next year. Students will get out of school June 4.
lausd, los angeles news
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures 15 17 min ago
- Bell corruption: Rizzo gets 12 years in prison
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire 6 min ago
- 289 missing, 7 dead in S. Korea ferry disaster
- Google Glass robbers target Venice resident 9 min ago
- Victim found on 605 Freeway dies of injuries
- Lake Elsinore man arrested for assault
- Distracted-driving trial: OC jury deadlocks
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar
- abcnews: Missing girls case solved 40 years later
- Pro-Russian insurgents seize armored vehicles
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- Jenny McCarthy engaged to Donnie Wahlberg 14 min ago
- OTRC: AC/DC: Malcolm Young taking break