Los Angeles News
LAUSD to start school year Aug. 14, three weeks earlier than usual
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The end of summer will come sooner this year for students in the Los Angeles Unified School District.
The 2012-2013 school year begins Aug. 14, three weeks earlier than usual. The so-called "early start calendar" allows students to complete their first semester before winter break.
Superintendent John Deasy said that's been shown to have a positive impact on final examinations and grades.
The new calendar also means an earlier start to the summer next year. Students will get out of school June 4.
lausd, los angeles news
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- Malaysia air force: Jet may have turned back
- Business leaders concerned about LADWP
- Roommate arrested in Westmont homicide
- 39-year-old man found dead in Apple Valley
- 5 measles cases in Orange County confirmed
- 5-alarm fire destroys San Francisco building 42 min ago
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer 40 min ago
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Keith Richards releasing children's book