Los Angeles News
San Fernando Valley draws thousands for 4th of July
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Thousands of people flocked to the San Fernando Valley for what was expected to be the biggest Fourth of July celebration.
The 18th annual Hansen Dam Spectacular kicked off at noon, but vendors were there early setting up their booths and firing up the barbeques.
As soon as the gates opened at 10 a.m., people poured in. Everybody was looking for a nice shady spot to place a chair and relax.
Most of the money made by the venders will go to help kids in need in the Valley, so they can participate in sports and youth programs.
"That is what the city of the angels is about. It's about community, it's about family, it's about love, and today, it's about celebrating the freedoms that we enjoy," said master of ceremonies Bobby Arias.
The event also features live entertainment and will of course include fireworks later in the day. Officials expect as many as 15,000 to 30,000 people to attend.
Event organizer Krisna Crawford-Velasco said the cost to attend it $10, which includes parking.
At the Shepherd of the Hills Church in Porter Ranch, people geared up for its annual 4th of July spectacular. There was live music and activities for the kids, and the fireworks were ready to go. It's one the largest shows in all of Southern California.
Executive Pastor Tim Winters said they expected about 40,000 people.
holiday, los angeles news, carlos granda
- Deputies gun down armed man during fight
- Loot-seeking vandals trash Palmdale church 50 min ago
- Calif. law takes effect on microstamping guns
- Machete-wielding man shot by Inglewood police
- 1 arrested, 2 outstanding after VC pursuit
- IE woman punches officer, tries to take Taser
- Deputies rescue stranded Swedish family
- Body found near area where hiker went missing
- Deaf Yorkie held for ransom is back home
- Tornadoes sweep across Kansas and Oklahoma
- abcnews: 1st lady jokes about president's failures
- Beckham in tears as he bids farewell to Paris
- 'Star Trek' tops box office with $70.6M debut
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 nominees list
- Latest weather with Danny Romero
46 min ago