Los Angeles News
San Fernando Valley draws thousands for 4th of July
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Thousands of people flocked to the San Fernando Valley for what was expected to be the biggest Fourth of July celebration.
The 18th annual Hansen Dam Spectacular kicked off at noon, but vendors were there early setting up their booths and firing up the barbeques.
As soon as the gates opened at 10 a.m., people poured in. Everybody was looking for a nice shady spot to place a chair and relax.
Most of the money made by the venders will go to help kids in need in the Valley, so they can participate in sports and youth programs.
"That is what the city of the angels is about. It's about community, it's about family, it's about love, and today, it's about celebrating the freedoms that we enjoy," said master of ceremonies Bobby Arias.
The event also features live entertainment and will of course include fireworks later in the day. Officials expect as many as 15,000 to 30,000 people to attend.
Event organizer Krisna Crawford-Velasco said the cost to attend it $10, which includes parking.
At the Shepherd of the Hills Church in Porter Ranch, people geared up for its annual 4th of July spectacular. There was live music and activities for the kids, and the fireworks were ready to go. It's one the largest shows in all of Southern California.
Executive Pastor Tim Winters said they expected about 40,000 people.
holiday, los angeles news, carlos granda
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- Woman gives $500 to friend who's a single mom
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle
- abcnews: One of Van Gogh's last paintings unveiled
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Jewelry shopping tips: How to avoid rip-offs
- Ned Vizzini, popular author, dies at age 32
- OTRC: Beyonce kisses Madonna's daughter (Photo)