Los Angeles News
Road rage fight victim pleads not guilty, claims self-defense
LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- A man knocked out in an apparent road rage beating pleaded not guilty to a previous hit-and-run incident.
Jerry Patterson, 49, is accused of punching motorcyclist James Poole in a drunken tirade which was caught on cellphone video May 25.
Police were able to identify Patterson after seeing video of him being beaten on the 5 Freeway during another road rage case at the hands of two men June 12. That footage went viral, getting more than 130,000 hits within hours. Poole saw this clip and told police, which led to Patterson's arrest.
When asked if he would do it again if he could, Patterson replied, "Of course."
According to police, Patterson was drunk when he hit a parked car and left the scene of the accident. When confronted by Poole about the hit-and-run, police say Patterson hit the biker. However, Patterson claims self-defense.
Long Beach city prosecutors feel confident about their case against Patterson.
Prosecutors say they would entertain a plea bargain deal. Patterson's arraignment is set for Aug. 8.
City News Service contributed to this report.
caught on tape, fight, los angeles news, q mccray
- Ambulance crash: 4 injured in Signal Hill 5 min ago
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well 11 min ago
- Alleged arsonist sets fire in Hollywood
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 4-car crash
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- abcnews: Car bursts into flames in lion habitat
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role