Los Angeles News
Road rage fight victim pleads not guilty, claims self-defense
LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- A man knocked out in an apparent road rage beating pleaded not guilty to a previous hit-and-run incident.
Jerry Patterson, 49, is accused of punching motorcyclist James Poole in a drunken tirade which was caught on cellphone video May 25.
Police were able to identify Patterson after seeing video of him being beaten on the 5 Freeway during another road rage case at the hands of two men June 12. That footage went viral, getting more than 130,000 hits within hours. Poole saw this clip and told police, which led to Patterson's arrest.
When asked if he would do it again if he could, Patterson replied, "Of course."
According to police, Patterson was drunk when he hit a parked car and left the scene of the accident. When confronted by Poole about the hit-and-run, police say Patterson hit the biker. However, Patterson claims self-defense.
Long Beach city prosecutors feel confident about their case against Patterson.
Prosecutors say they would entertain a plea bargain deal. Patterson's arraignment is set for Aug. 8.
City News Service contributed to this report.
caught on tape, fight, los angeles news, q mccray
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim
- Lancaster woman found dead; sons questioned 48 min ago
- Man found dead after house fire in Orange
- Calif. jobless rate continues positive trend 18 min ago
- Harry Reid in the hospital for observation
- Judge strikes down Utah's same-sex marriage ban
- abcnews: Service dog sniffs out girl's disease
- London theater collapse: Aging venues safe?
- Casey Kasem conservatorship deal reached
- 9-yr-old FL girl is youngest to bowl 300 game
- OTRC: Phil Robertson's fam talk 'Duck Dynasty' future