Los Angeles News
Road rage fight victim pleads not guilty, claims self-defense
LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- A man knocked out in an apparent road rage beating pleaded not guilty to a previous hit-and-run incident.
Jerry Patterson, 49, is accused of punching motorcyclist James Poole in a drunken tirade which was caught on cellphone video May 25.
Police were able to identify Patterson after seeing video of him being beaten on the 5 Freeway during another road rage case at the hands of two men June 12. That footage went viral, getting more than 130,000 hits within hours. Poole saw this clip and told police, which led to Patterson's arrest.
When asked if he would do it again if he could, Patterson replied, "Of course."
According to police, Patterson was drunk when he hit a parked car and left the scene of the accident. When confronted by Poole about the hit-and-run, police say Patterson hit the biker. However, Patterson claims self-defense.
Long Beach city prosecutors feel confident about their case against Patterson.
Prosecutors say they would entertain a plea bargain deal. Patterson's arraignment is set for Aug. 8.
City News Service contributed to this report.
caught on tape, fight, los angeles news, q mccray
- Machete-wielding man shot by Inglewood police
- Greuel, Garcetti rally for undecided voters
- Body found near area where hiker went missing
- CA task force aims to control gun ownership
- Couple arrested in LA pot grow operation
- Police impersonator halts bus in Redlands
- Deaf Yorkie held for ransom is back home
- Frazier Park fire: Crews gain upper hand
- Ricin letter case: FBI searches WA apartment
- Virginia parade crash injures up to 60 people
- SKorea: NKorea fires 3 short-range missiles
- Kings lose to Sharks 2-1 in OT of Game 3
- abcnews: Flesh-eating bacteria survivor's bionic hands
- OTRC: Kristen Wiig talks about missing 'SNL'