Los Angeles News
Road rage fight victim pleads not guilty, claims self-defense
LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- A man knocked out in an apparent road rage beating pleaded not guilty to a previous hit-and-run incident.
Jerry Patterson, 49, is accused of punching motorcyclist James Poole in a drunken tirade which was caught on cellphone video May 25.
Police were able to identify Patterson after seeing video of him being beaten on the 5 Freeway during another road rage case at the hands of two men June 12. That footage went viral, getting more than 130,000 hits within hours. Poole saw this clip and told police, which led to Patterson's arrest.
When asked if he would do it again if he could, Patterson replied, "Of course."
According to police, Patterson was drunk when he hit a parked car and left the scene of the accident. When confronted by Poole about the hit-and-run, police say Patterson hit the biker. However, Patterson claims self-defense.
Long Beach city prosecutors feel confident about their case against Patterson.
Prosecutors say they would entertain a plea bargain deal. Patterson's arraignment is set for Aug. 8.
City News Service contributed to this report.
caught on tape, fight, los angeles news, q mccray
- 2 persons of interest sought in LB attack 28 min ago
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- Cat rescued from 91 Fwy divider in Riverside 40 min ago
- Temecula man arrested in drug sales bust
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- Obama to preserve California federal lands
- abcnews: Teens save man stuck in sewer 24 min ago
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- New Toyota Highlander carries on legacy
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video
- Latest weather with Danny Romero
13 min ago